Stock to Simple Stage 1 DIY or Tuner? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

91011swrx is an unknown
Stock to Simple Stage 1 DIY or Tuner?

I'm around 1500 miles in on a 2012 WRX Premium loaded with the STS package. After reading some of the things people are saying about the factory tune I think I want to go to a simple Stage 1. By simple I mean just the COBB AP Stage1 reflash. I understand that, that will smooth things out and maybe add a couple more hp and mpg.

Is it so easy that I should just order it and do it myself or order it from a shop that will do the reflash for me? I don't have a garage and I’m not that car savvy. I can do the basics but that's about it. I called a shop and they said $595.00 for the AP & reflash. It might be kinda cool to check the shop but its a couple hour drive from me. Not that I mind spending time behind the wheel of my car.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
You can do it yourself. It's really easy. The ap gives you instructions right on the screen, and if that still doesn't help thee is a video or two on YouTube that walks you through.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It take about 15 minutes tops. Do it, you won't regret it. I give it six months before you go stage 2 and get a custom tune.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #4 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevenwrx is an unknown
i just got my cobb ap and its really easy and awesome to use. definately worth it
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

91011swrx is an unknown
Does the access port know when or indicate when you've gone a 1/4 mile when generating 1/4 mile times?

I assume you can hook it up and not put a map on the car and still get all the data. I'd like to get some data stock and then stage 1.

If I choose the 91 octane map can i run 93 octane from time to time or vise versa. Is there a big difference between the two? The closest station with 93 is a 30 min drive one way but I do go there once a month or so for work and generally time it so I can fill up while I’m there.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You can marry it to the car, and still have the stock factory map on the car yes. The 1/4 is not that accurate in my personal experience either. But it starts timing as soon as the car starts to move, and stops after going a 1/4 mile yes. And as far as running 93 on a 91 map you are fine. But you CAN NOT run 91 with a 93 map. Unless of course you are going to baby and granny that car to the extreme. The fueling, timing, and all that is different between the two different octane maps. And as far as differences go between the 91 and 93 maps, I could imagine that there is. I am protuned for 91 and 92 octane. And I can feel the difference between the octane ratings on the same boost level.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"