stock 02 wrx tune - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
stock 02 wrx tune

I think my car may have some kind of aftermarket tune on it from when i bought it from someone else quite a while ago. I have a 2002 WRX with manifold back grimmspeed exhaust, borla tbe, external wastegate (turbosmart from gs), td04 turbo, tgv deletes, phenolic spacers, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight crank pulley. After I put everything on it ran just fine, but after I ran the pedal to the floor it was like it hit the rev limiter at 5.5k rpm. It started acting kind of funny after that. Now it does the same thing but at higher rpm for some reason and when it starts "killing the engine" or whatever it's doing it backfires. I'm wanting to reflash back to the stock map and then tune the car. The guy before me did some really weird stuff to it so I don't want the tune to be to blame and just make something worse. Does anybody have any ideas on what i should log for diagnosis? I have logged the car several times and I used the general logging parameters that romraider's website gave me and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. What parameters should I log? How can I put my log files on here so everyone else can see them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
So...your post is confusing. Did you put the parts on or did the previous owner?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Return it to stock and throw the STOCK tune back on there.

Then you can rule out the parts if it still does it. That's the problem with throwing a ton of parts on all at once. Take that BOV off the car for one.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
take it to someone that actually knows how to tune the car, some of those modes aren't easy to tune for

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
So basically you have a stg.2 with external wastegate and lightened crank pulley and flywheel. Well I can tell you first off that depending on what flywheel you have that might be causing some of your issues, secondly why the hell did they put an external wastegate on a TD04???

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #6 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Sorry for the confusion. I had put some of the stuff on but some of the other stuff was already on when I got the car, so I don't have a lot of the stock stuff. I got the external wastegate for when i get a different turbo later. I also read that it's beneficial to have an external wastegate as opposed to an internal one. Also the flywheel is from exedy.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
like I said already just take it to a professional

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Does stage two include TGV deletes? Anybody know a good tuner around alabama?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy LiMiT View Post
Does stage two include TGV deletes? Anybody know a good tuner around alabama?
To answer your questions... No and No. You seriously need it tuned though.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ditch the external and I might be able to write you up something, but the flywheel is a concern of mine I would want to know the weight.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #11 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
the flywheel is 12.7 lbs. Does flywheel weight make that much of a difference? What does it alter in a tune? What about a lightweight crank pulley?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

It can cause CEL issues with to light a flywheel. I thinking 12-13lbs is as light as I would go on the street since you have to rev it higher to avoid stalling it out. It really also depends on what your purpose with the car is to. If your going to road course it or something then yeah, but drag racing/street driven I'd go with a heavier one. It doesn't alter the tune per say as much as it cause CEL's that show up as misfires and they can be hard to trace sometimes. Light weight crank pulley is something that you ask 10 people and you'll get 20 different answers. What kind of EM are you running on this car?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Return it to stock and throw the STOCK tune back on there.

Then you can rule out the parts if it still does it. That's the problem with throwing a ton of parts on all at once. Take that BOV off the car for one.
He can't. There are 2 mods on that car that require a custom tune.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^He can't return it to stock ? Explain to me how he can't.

Last time I checked, you can change out any parts you want (when you find them).

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #15 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
^He can't return it to stock ? Explain to me how he can't.

Last time I checked, you can change out any parts you want (when you find them).
I only saw the return to stock tune comment, not the other one.