Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   stock 02 wrx tune (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/stock-02-wrx-tune-31953/)

Bboy LiMiT 01-26-2012 08:34 PM

stock 02 wrx tune

I think my car may have some kind of aftermarket tune on it from when i bought it from someone else quite a while ago. I have a 2002 WRX with manifold back grimmspeed exhaust, borla tbe, external wastegate (turbosmart from gs), td04 turbo, tgv deletes, phenolic spacers, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight crank pulley. After I put everything on it ran just fine, but after I ran the pedal to the floor it was like it hit the rev limiter at 5.5k rpm. It started acting kind of funny after that. Now it does the same thing but at higher rpm for some reason and when it starts "killing the engine" or whatever it's doing it backfires. I'm wanting to reflash back to the stock map and then tune the car. The guy before me did some really weird stuff to it so I don't want the tune to be to blame and just make something worse. Does anybody have any ideas on what i should log for diagnosis? I have logged the car several times and I used the general logging parameters that romraider's website gave me and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. What parameters should I log? How can I put my log files on here so everyone else can see them?

turmic 01-26-2012 09:27 PM

So...your post is confusing. Did you put the parts on or did the previous owner?

pzr2874 01-27-2012 05:48 AM

Return it to stock and throw the STOCK tune back on there.

Then you can rule out the parts if it still does it. That's the problem with throwing a ton of parts on all at once. Take that BOV off the car for one.

basco 01-27-2012 07:53 AM

take it to someone that actually knows how to tune the car, some of those modes aren't easy to tune for

psinuse 01-27-2012 10:21 AM

So basically you have a stg.2 with external wastegate and lightened crank pulley and flywheel. Well I can tell you first off that depending on what flywheel you have that might be causing some of your issues, secondly why the hell did they put an external wastegate on a TD04???

Bboy LiMiT 01-29-2012 10:52 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I had put some of the stuff on but some of the other stuff was already on when I got the car, so I don't have a lot of the stock stuff. I got the external wastegate for when i get a different turbo later. I also read that it's beneficial to have an external wastegate as opposed to an internal one. Also the flywheel is from exedy.

basco 01-29-2012 10:56 AM

like I said already just take it to a professional

Bboy LiMiT 01-29-2012 10:59 AM

Does stage two include TGV deletes? Anybody know a good tuner around alabama?

turmic 01-29-2012 12:37 PM

[quote=Bboy LiMiT;275009]Does stage two include TGV deletes? Anybody know a good tuner around alabama?[/quote]

To answer your questions... No and No. You seriously need it tuned though.

psinuse 01-29-2012 01:04 PM

Ditch the external and I might be able to write you up something, but the flywheel is a concern of mine I would want to know the weight.

Bboy LiMiT 01-29-2012 05:25 PM

the flywheel is 12.7 lbs. Does flywheel weight make that much of a difference? What does it alter in a tune? What about a lightweight crank pulley?

psinuse 01-29-2012 06:20 PM

It can cause CEL issues with to light a flywheel. I thinking 12-13lbs is as light as I would go on the street since you have to rev it higher to avoid stalling it out. It really also depends on what your purpose with the car is to. If your going to road course it or something then yeah, but drag racing/street driven I'd go with a heavier one. It doesn't alter the tune per say as much as it cause CEL's that show up as misfires and they can be hard to trace sometimes. Light weight crank pulley is something that you ask 10 people and you'll get 20 different answers. What kind of EM are you running on this car?

brfatal 01-29-2012 10:36 PM

[quote=pzr2874;274931]Return it to stock and throw the STOCK tune back on there.

Then you can rule out the parts if it still does it. That's the problem with throwing a ton of parts on all at once. Take that BOV off the car for one.[/quote]

He can't. There are 2 mods on that car that require a custom tune.

pzr2874 01-30-2012 06:02 AM

^He can't return it to stock ? Explain to me how he can't.

Last time I checked, you can change out any parts you want (when you find them).

brfatal 01-30-2012 11:07 AM

[quote=pzr2874;275032]^He can't return it to stock ? Explain to me how he can't.

Last time I checked, you can change out any parts you want (when you find them).[/quote]

I only saw the return to stock tune comment, not the other one.