Stage 2 Mapping Octane Question + BCS - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jadedele is an unknown
Stage 2 Mapping Octane Question + BCS

Hi all, I'm currently running a 93 octane Cobb S1 setup.
Planning on doing a S2 install next month (high flow intake + Turboback).
The wagon will get (pro) tuned after the mods are installed.
Here in N. Illinois, I can get 87, 89 and 93 octanes just about anywhere.
The car needs to travel out of state (read: 93 might not be available).
Question is, what gas should I bring to the tune to make the car drivable everywhere?
The way it's been explained, basically, to me is that you don't want to run any octane lower than the current map is tuned to, and that identical octanes are not all the same due to their respective mixes. Which makes me ask, what's the minimum I should tune to and what are the pros/cons to this approach??
Don't necessarily want to tune for 87, run 93 (when I can) and take a performance hit(if at all?). Am I looking at this issue the right way? What/how are all you S2 folks running?
Also, if anyone has a good link to a BCS discussion (a 3 port BSC is being recommended by my tuner), would also be appreciated.
Many thanks,
-Jaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Since the best gas we can get out here in most western states is 91 oct., that's the map I run for daily driving. I only use my race gas maps (thanks to PDX) when I'm in the mood to spend $7-9 per gallon, which isn't very often.

If 93 is common where you are, I'd run those maps until you run into a situation where you can't get 93, store the lower octane map, and reflash if necessary. Hopefully your tuner can give you maps to store in your AP.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Running 91 with a 93 map isn't a bad thing as long as you don't drive it like you stole it. But regardless you can get tuned on 93 but your tuner can easily make you a conservative 91 map by simply removing alittle boost and timing from the 93 map.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Exactly what dumdum said. When I was tuned for my 20G I had 92 Oct, but was soon moving to Ks where 91 was the highest. So my tuner gave me all my maps in both 92 and 91Oct and I just switch my maps accordingly.

BTW who/where are you getting your car tuned at?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey Jadedele, let me know where you're getting your custom tune. I'm about to head to DS1 for mine.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jadedele is an unknown
Thanks all - appreciated. Makes sense, will ask my guy if they can make me a 91 octane map.
P/Ms - in process of sending.
Any BCS threads/advice?
-Jaded
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Grimmspeed makes a awesome 3-port BCS.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have one... Did a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I can't say for sure how much it helped.

My spool is as follows:

Pre EWG: about 12psi at 3000 rpm's, 18.7 psi at 3600 rpm's (stock was 13.5 at 4k), taper to 13 psi at redline
Post EWG: about 11psi at 3000 rpm's, 19psi at 3300, 21 psi by 3500 rpm's, taper to 14.5 psi at redline.

You'll spool faster since you're on the TD04, but it gives you an idea.

I improved my spool by about 800 or so rpm's (a lot more than just the bcs caused this) on the first tune. Now the bcs helped in the spool pick up, but my boost held rock steady up high, and that's where the bcs shines. It keeps the boost regulated very well.

Now that I have the ewg, you can hear the bcs in action since my ewg pulses like an angry badger. Now I know for sure the ewg is very fast and very good at keeping boost steady once you get past spring pressure.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log comparison.txt (1.2 KB, 63 views)

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement