Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stage 1 Question

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jonpark 
#1 ·
I have a bone-stock 2006 WRX and am considering buying the COBB AP and taking my car to stage 1. A couple of questions, is it worth the $700, does it really make that much difference? Being my first modification, is that what makes the most sense?

Thanks everyone for your input.

#2 ·
My first mod was rims and tires. After that I got he AP and to me it was worth every penny. Smoother more usable power. Quicker and higher boost, and even got a few extra MPGs all off the Stage 1 91OCT map. Plus all the little extras on the AP are cool.

#8 ·
I guess when you're right, you're right. And you guys were right! I finally went to Stage 1 last night and it is AWESOME! It really is smoother, quicker, and even a couple of pounds more boost! Well worth the $700. Now I guess I gotta' get to TBE shopping... Thanks again for your advise.

#9 ·
Awesome and congratulations. So glad that you are pleased with the purchase and the new found power. I was so stoked when I installed my AP also. Isnt the difference nite and day? Well anyways congrats again.

#12 ·
Actually, I have a question that pertains to this. I am about to order the ap myself, and was wondering. I bought a 06 rex last sat and it has 4,500 miles on it. Now people say that you need to unhook the battery for like 30 minutes, because if the previous owner ran anything, but 93 octane the ecu will be in limp mode, until the ecu is reset. Now in NC 93 octane is about everywhere around here. Thats all I use and was as well with my old car. Should I disconnect the battery before hand? That way if the car for some odd reason had like 89 or so in it, when I plug the battery back in and use the cobb ap everything will be learned again? Long post I know any suggestions? :)

#13 ·
I have never heard of that before. But might not be a bad idea. Did the car have ANYTHING at all done to it when you bought it? If the previous owner was using 89, they were retarded and the car probably wouldnt be running right, but Im sure we all know that. If there is/was nothing done to the car and its still stock, you shouldnt have to worry about anything though.

#16 ·
I wasn't sure what to expect from the AP when I first installed it in my car, but it's fantastic. I flashed in the stg 1 (93) map and the power deliver is alot smoother than stock, and not only that, but you can also use it for a code reader. I don't regret the purchase one bit.

And, that's coming from a die hard UTEC fan. ;)

And, for the guys paying $700 for a new AP, you're silly. ;)

I got mine for waaay less than that. :shhh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.