Stage 1 now installed - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX265 is an unknown
Stage 1 now installed

Hey guys, my AP finally arrived from Perrin today and I installed it over lunch. Everybody else was right, it just makes everything feel much smoother. The single biggest change I noticed though was the ratio of pushing the gas pedal relative to acceleration. Depressing the pedal 25% of the way actually means 25% throttle now, its way more linear.

Did anyone else have a hard time starting it for the first time after their reflash? I held the key as the engine turned over for a solid 3-4 seconds before finally coming to life...definitely a scary 3-4 seconds. The 2nd time I started it everything was normal, the ECU must have just been adjusting for that initial start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That happened to me when I did stage 1, stage 2, and even my custom map for my 20G. Its totally normal. Glad to hear you got it and are happy with it. Next step, stage 2.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Yep, that's normal.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX265 is an unknown
I started thinking about my shifter next as I'm not a huge fan of how it feels. I had the dealership install the STI shortthrow when I bought the car, however, I have no idea if they installed it with STI bushings or left in the WRX shifter bushings. I called them today and all they said was it comes as a single piece, they just pull out the old shifter and bolt in the new one. Does this mean they didn't change the stock bushings? Any thoughts?
post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

All the linkage is replaced with the factory short throw, it's not just the shifter. That being said, I think the bushings are still soft on the STS.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
IMHO the STI short shifter (or SPT w/e it is) is an overpriced paper weight. It doesnt reduce throw that much, and too me its still too high. If you have the money check into the Mode Racing SS. Its double adjustable for both height and throw (each independent of the other). And while you are at it get the Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings. That should give you a nice "tight" shifter. Or I have heard nothing but good about the Kartboy SS itself.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

I have kartboy, no adjustablity, but I like the way it shifts.

Brad

post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Me too

Kartboy short shift lever + polyurethane front/rear shifter bushings in my 07 WRX

Kartboy products rule! I just ordered a set of their polyurethane rear differential mounts and I'm pretty sure I'll end up with their endlinks too when the time comes to upgrade my swaybars/end links

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
^ Me too I'm pretty sure I'll end up with their endlinks too when the time comes to upgrade my swaybars/end links
Make that your next mod man... I love my swaybars.

Agree on the Kartboy SS and bushings, have mine and love it. I am tempted to get the MODE SS for the adjustability as I wanted the COBB, but they discontinued it right before I was ready to start buying parts, so I had to get the Kartboy. I also recommend the COBB knob, makes my shifter feel 100x better than it did with the stock knob.

-Chris
post #10 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX265 is an unknown
Ah so many things to buy, so little time. I think I may do the Kartboy SS/bushings next as I'm really not all that happy with this STI SS. Its alright, but I really didn't notice much of a difference at all from the stock setup. Sway bars are also on the priority list for next mods, I still worry though that somethings going to break and they'll see all of this stuff and void my warranty but I guess thats the name of the game.

Hey tech question for you guys, at around the 10k km mark my clutch pedal started making a click noise when its being depressed. My thought is that it might be the spring, either way its really really annoying to hear every single day. I brought it to the dealership and they said they didn't hear anything, I'm going to force them to look harder next time I have a servicing done as its driving me crazy. Any of you had this?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, you start messing with the warranty, but I feel if you do your research and take care, you can maintain a good, reliable car. Just in case though, I have just about all my stock parts that really matter- intake, dp, exhaust, bcs, shifter, stock mapping once I get my tune. I sold my stock swaybars, which I never thought would happen, so those are gone. I don't see swaybars causing any problems though.

-Chris