Stage 1 Complete - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

07EJ25Ltd is an unknown
Stage 1 Complete

just installed the cobb stage 1 map..totally stoked. I guess now i need a dp?

subarus do it horizantal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2008, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
yeah for stage 2 cobb it is a downpipe. You could always get a drop in air filter too like k&n. Check out cobbs website, they have mapnotes
#3 Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
When I first read your post, I thought it said "totally sucked" lol.. but yeah, definitely start reading up about different downpipes and see which one fits your desires and budget. After you bolt that on, you can immediately flash to a Stage 2 map and enjoy a significantly greater power increase than the one you just did (from Stage 0 to Stage 1). I promise you, it will be like driving a whole different car.

Another thing you could blow about 100 bucks on any time would be a lightweight (not underdriven!) crank pulley. They're all about the same, just different colors and patterns, so just find one that looks good to you or is cheap. All it does is reduce some rotating mass and add a couple horsies. It won't affect the life of your engine and doesn't require a special tune - you can just bolt it right on there and be done with it. The underdrive pulleys are the ones you need to watch out for since they pose potential charging and drivability problems.

+1 to the K&N replacement panel-style air filter too

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

07EJ25Ltd is an unknown
ha no definetly doesnt suck, thanks for the tips guys. I was wondering how easily a aftermarket dp bolts up to stock cbe

subarus do it horizantal
#5 Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Pretty easy if you ask me. I am running the COBB catless downpipe and it mates up fine to my stock catback. It just depends on what style the Downpipe is. I know for sure COBB can hook up to the stock cat back...
#6 Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Any aftermarket downpipe (except TurboXS's and APS's 3.5" model) will mate up to your stock cat back just fine. Be aware though, most aftermarket downpipes have a full 3" diameter pipe at the flange where they connect to the cat back. So if you use a model like this, it will create a bit of turbulence at that connection point because you'd be instantly going from a 3" pipe to a 2.5" pipe (diameter of your stock cat back). Cobb's downpipe combats this issue with a slight taper from 3" to 2.5" at the end of their downpipe where that connection is made as well as utilizing a unique flange which makes it possible to use either the factory donut-style gasket or a flat 3" 2-bolt gasket to seal the connection. To be honest though, most people usually purchase an aftermarket cat back to go along with their aftermarket downpipe to make a complete turboback exhaust system.

As far as the dp installation, the trickiest part for me was finding all the bolts that hold the stock heat shield on... there were around a dozen (+/-) and they like to hide from you. The dp bolts to the turbo with 5 bolts and to the cat back with 2 spring bolts. If you can locate all of these, just use some PB blaster to loosen them and then go to town with a breaker bar. Using new turbo-to-downpipe and downpipe-to-catback gaskets are highly recommended and you'll also need an aftermarket heatshield or you can cut your stock one. It took me a few hours to do this (it was my first time).

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Eh, I don't run a heatshield with mine... Will that cause any problems??
#8 Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just more heat raising towards your IC and all. Means some heatsoak, how much? Who knows. If you are just running stage 2, not that bad Im sure.

As far as the DP goes Im also running the full Cobb TBE, I love it. Expensive, yes, worth it, HELL YES. I like the look, the sound, the fitment. Again, its what you want to spend and what you like. Man show is right that the Cobb will fit the stock, if you decide against a different one, you at most would need to have an adaptor welded to make the connection between DP and CBE. Let us know how things go, and congrats on the new power.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm getting the Cobb AP in the mail today! Unfortunately, I just discovered that my passengers axle is throwing oil on to the DP. I'm bringing it to the dealer on Monday so I'm going to have to wait to flash it. Hopefully they will fix it under the drive train warranty.

The down pipe I wanted is on back order. It's the Perrin dual high flow cat model. I want to keep it as legal as possible. It will be 3 weeks before it's in so I'll have some time to test the difference between stage 1 and 2.

I ordered the STI pitch mount also since you have to remove the intercooler to change the DP. This will complete the mounts as I already have the group N engine and trans mount. They made a big difference, so hopefully the pitch mount will finish it off. I ordered the Perrin rear diff lockdown kit as well in case it doesn't.

I'll post something about the Perrin downpipe b/c I wasn't able to find a lot of people who run this down pipe. The dual cats should make it pass the visual inspection.
#10 Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I flashed to stage 1 this afternoon after having my leaky axles resolved at the dealer.

It is much smoother throughout the entire RPM range. I really can tell a difference in boost. I only drove it around for about 15 miles, so maybe it will get a little better as the computer adjusts, but in the meantime I really like the new power.

I hit 16.2 PSI for boost as my max after a couple of pulls. I hope that's OK, b/c the Cobb map notes say 15.7 max. It's only about 20 degrees today so perhaps the cold/dense air helped.

Now I'm just waiting on the Perrin dual cat downpipe to come into stock. I'm also going to get the Bosal up-pipe.
#11 Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I believe some where in their notes or somewhere, that the target is +/- .5 PSI or so. Plus you are right in the fact that being cold will affect boost also. My car since installing both stage 1 and 2 has hit above the target boost of what Cobb says.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I'm wondering how long it will take me to want more power. It's been a day, so I think I'm ready for stage 2 :-)
#13 Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

subarooster is an unknown
wow i'm so jealous when i flashed to stage 1 i noticed absolutely nothing and max boost i hit was like 13.9 n never ever since then it's usually not above 13.2 or 3. it's only been like a week and i've been giving it some time but no i'm done waiting what's the problem??
#14 Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Blk it wont ake long. At least it didnt for me. It took me awhile for the parts, but wanting them was quick in the making. I have been running stage 2 for awhile, thought it would be alrite. I want at least a new TMIC 3port BCS and a tune, but again, just waiting for some cash again, lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, it gets addicting quick. I sold a fully-built 5.0 that ran low 12's to get this b/c I wanted something reliable with a warranty, blah, blah, blah. That lasted about 2k miles before I put the cat-back on. :-)