Stage 1 at 16 lbs of boost? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Gotcha, I believe you that you know a lot about Subaru's, not just CAIs for them. How close can you get to running clean by rescaling the MAF?
Rescaling the MAF will just fix issues if the inner diameter for the meter housing is not the same as stock so it would change anything for the turbulence issue.If the only issue is not the same as stock ID for the housing then you can get it like stock or better by rescaling.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
No problems today with it overboosting after the dp install. It seemed to hit 15 lbs to the tee every time I punched it...Thank god...the intake is still in and not cai, everything seems to be ok...it was cold today too (low 40's) and no problem. Z

12.7 @ 109
post #18 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Gotcha, I believe you that you know a lot about Subaru's, not just CAIs for them. How close can you get to running clean by rescaling the MAF?
re-scaling the MAF has nothing to do with turbulence at all. All it does is change the upper and lower bounds of how much airflow it is keeping track of. Also, if you open up the bounds, you'll loose resolution meaning the airflow differences in between steps will be larger and thus harder to tune.

Re-scaling is needed when you start pulling in more airflow than the sensor is calibrated for (meaning it maxes out). You can scale it a little without much problem but it only has so many steps so eventually the steps get big enough that it's impossible to tune.

But again, that has nothing to do with turbulence. Turbulence is a problem because the airflow is not consistent and smooth across the sensor so it cannot accurately gauge the total airflow going into your motor. Think of it this way. The sensor is looking at a small part of the air that passes through. It's assuming that the rest of the air is proportionally the same and it usually is. When the airflow gets turbulent though, the airflow is not consistent and thus the small part that the sensor is looking at no longer accurately represents what's happening.

If I measure the water passing down a small part a smooth stream, I can pretty well estimate how much water the whole stream is pushing. If I do the same thing on a stream going through a bunch of rapids, I can no longer just measure in one place and accurately estimate all the other places. It's similar with air turbulence.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #19 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
I'm gonna do a test this weekend and see for myself if there is truly a difference between CAI and the stock air box.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
re-scaling the MAF has nothing to do with turbulence at all. All it does is change the upper and lower bounds of how much airflow it is keeping track of. Also, if you open up the bounds, you'll loose resolution meaning the airflow differences in between steps will be larger and thus harder to tune.

Re-scaling is needed when you start pulling in more airflow than the sensor is calibrated for (meaning it maxes out). You can scale it a little without much problem but it only has so many steps so eventually the steps get big enough that it's impossible to tune.

But again, that has nothing to do with turbulence. Turbulence is a problem because the airflow is not consistent and smooth across the sensor so it cannot accurately gauge the total airflow going into your motor. Think of it this way. The sensor is looking at a small part of the air that passes through. It's assuming that the rest of the air is proportionally the same and it usually is. When the airflow gets turbulent though, the airflow is not consistent and thus the small part that the sensor is looking at no longer accurately represents what's happening.

If I measure the water passing down a small part a smooth stream, I can pretty well estimate how much water the whole stream is pushing. If I do the same thing on a stream going through a bunch of rapids, I can no longer just measure in one place and accurately estimate all the other places. It's similar with air turbulence.
Thanks I got it now. I did see a cool DIY mod someone did with a short ram intake (spt) where they ran a duct from the foglight through the passenger wheel well emptying out right in front of where the intake filter was. That mod in conjunction with a good heatshield I bet is very effective.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #21 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Garage
It probably works pretty well. A good heatshield does much the same thing though. As long asi it's pulling from a fender or something rather than the engine bay, you're doing pretty good anyway. People over-estimate the importance of this stuff because of hondas mostly I think. They come with such crappy restrictive intakes that doing nearly anything can get gains and since they're small NA engines to begin with, not much else gets numbers anyway so everybody does it.

post #22 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanoside View Post
So I got my ap/dp today...didnt have enough time to install the dp so I flashed stage one just for the fun of it...man, that ap is cool. My car runs smoother in all ways. Boost comes on cleaner and faster. Kinda weird, but it kinda makes my car easier to drive (not so touchy)....ANYWYAS...tonight on the way home 55 F, 55 mph and I'm just lookin at my boost gauge and floor it in 4th to see what my max boost would be and it went up to 16-17 lbs...just for 1/2 a second then held at 14 1/2 15 lbs...Little high max boost level for stg 1 ya ?? I just got the cb and spt inake in...what gives? I'm gonna install the dp and go stg 2 in the morning...I shouldnt go past 17 max boost stg 2 right.(w/o a tune)..??? Srry just a little concerned of the over boost factor.. Z
DITTO! my cobb TBE just came in but i didnt have the gaskets for the dp so i put the CBE for now sound sweet, and im still waiting on my CSS intercooler that i ordered 2 weeks ago....crap!! so i just got the COBB AP in today oi overnighted it from jsc
i could wait anymore i just flashed stage 1 like not 30 mins ago and raod tested it
holy crap what a diffrence i defintley maxed out at about 17 psi also the power band is sooo much smoother to redline on the stock ecu at 5k id be at like 7 psi now it stays a steady 14-15psi and pulls all the way threw redline!!! very impressed!!! cxant wait for my damn iner cooler so i can put everything together and stage 2/protune amr !!!
post #23 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
DITTO! my cobb TBE just came in but i didnt have the gaskets for the dp so i put the CBE for now sound sweet, and im still waiting on my CSS intercooler that i ordered 2 weeks ago....crap!! so i just got the COBB AP in today oi overnighted it from jsc
i could wait anymore i just flashed stage 1 like not 30 mins ago and raod tested it
holy crap what a diffrence i defintley maxed out at about 17 psi also the power band is sooo much smoother to redline on the stock ecu at 5k id be at like 7 psi now it stays a steady 14-15psi and pulls all the way threw redline!!! very impressed!!! cxant wait for my damn iner cooler so i can put everything together and stage 2/protune amr !!!
Now its getting wierd. 2 06's both running 17 lbs max boost on stage 1? And now im stage 2 and running 15lbs?? Keep me updated on goin stage 2 and your boost levels..I thought boost would be the opposite stg 1 @ 15lbs 2 @ 17lbs??

12.7 @ 109
post #24 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanoside View Post
Now its getting wierd. 2 06's both running 17 lbs max boost on stage 1? And now im stage 2 and running 15lbs?? Keep me updated on goin stage 2 and your boost levels..I thought boost would be the opposite stg 1 @ 15lbs 2 @ 17lbs??
im putting the dp on this weeknd so ill keep updated on the info, but yea that is wierd.... i guess its a power band diffrence in hp not psi...? correct me if im wrong....
post #25 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
ALSO when puttign all this together this weeknd the i have a bigger TMIC, SRI, PERRING INLET HOSE, COBB TBE.... the stage 2 flash from the COBB AP will be ok until i can get it to the tuner/dyno correct?...
post #26 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
ALSO when puttign all this together this weeknd the i have a bigger TMIC, SRI, PERRING INLET HOSE, COBB TBE.... the stage 2 flash from the COBB AP will be ok until i can get it to the tuner/dyno correct?...
Yeah it should be, but how long before you get a custom tune?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #27 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Yeah it should be, but how long before you get a custom tune?
my tuner is conviently away for a week in florida at another shop where hes tuneing liek 30+ cars he said and when he gets back hes busy so about a 2 weeks tops.. i hope it will be ok
post #28 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

You should be dude.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #29 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Should be fine, you just wont really get much out of having the bigger TMIC.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #30 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Garage
you could run it for years like that without issue. Don't stress it. A bigger TMIC doesn't substantially change airflow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement