Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stage 1 at 16 lbs of boost?

9K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
So I got my ap/dp today...didnt have enough time to install the dp so I flashed stage one just for the fun of it...man, that ap is cool. My car runs smoother in all ways. Boost comes on cleaner and faster. Kinda weird, but it kinda makes my car easier to drive (not so touchy)....ANYWYAS...tonight on the way home 55 F, 55 mph and I'm just lookin at my boost gauge and floor it in 4th to see what my max boost would be and it went up to 16-17 lbs...just for 1/2 a second then held at 14 1/2 15 lbs...Little high max boost level for stg 1 ya ?? I just got the cb and spt inake in...what gives? I'm gonna install the dp and go stg 2 in the morning...I shouldnt go past 17 max boost stg 2 right.(w/o a tune)..??? Srry just a little concerned of the over boost factor.. Z

#7 ·
Dood I don't know if your boost going that high is good or bad but what I do know is that having a CAI S BAD.
You can't even use the AP with a non-factory intake, says it right there in plain english. I'd get a protune asap if I was you. You get more HP sometimes with an intake but it makes ## car run lean and is very bad for the car. Good luck with everything

#12 ·
Dood I don't know if your boost going that high is good or bad but what I do know is that having a CAI S BAD.
Newtothegame, I just realized that the OP has an SPT intake. So this person is wrong by saying a CAI is bad, because a CAI doesn't enter this equation. That'll teach me to read the whole damn thread. Twentyclowns, not all intakes are cold air.

#13 ·
You cannot tune out turbulence.You can correct improper MAF diameters by rescaling the MAF.Two different evils.Also several big name tuners have tuned 500hp cars on the stock airbox with the typical drop in filter and resonator delete.Trust me,I know alot about the problems with CAI.Only design I've seen yest that is the most promissing is APS's and Prodrive's unit which is made by AEM to Prodrives specs.Toatally different design than AEM's units.

#11 ·
Well considering he has the SPT intake, there shouldnt be a problem with it. But not to say there isnt. I ran stage 1 for about 4 months before I deployed and was also hitting 14.5PSI, but I only had a CBE and didnt have the spiking problem. Did it just happen once or did you try and repeat what happened?

#15 ·
Hey Longshot not a problem there. You cuaght me in another post so now we are square again, lol. But I just read the OPs post abut putting in the DP, lets see and hope that the problem doesnt occur aymore.

#17 ·
No problems today with it overboosting after the dp install. It seemed to hit 15 lbs to the tee every time I punched it...Thank god...the intake is still in and not cai, everything seems to be ok...it was cold today too (low 40's) and no problem. Z

#21 ·
It probably works pretty well. A good heatshield does much the same thing though. As long asi it's pulling from a fender or something rather than the engine bay, you're doing pretty good anyway. People over-estimate the importance of this stuff because of hondas mostly I think. They come with such crappy restrictive intakes that doing nearly anything can get gains and since they're small NA engines to begin with, not much else gets numbers anyway so everybody does it.

#22 ·
DITTO! my cobb TBE just came in but i didnt have the gaskets for the dp so i put the CBE for now sound sweet, and im still waiting on my CSS intercooler that i ordered 2 weeks ago....crap!! so i just got the COBB AP in today oi overnighted it from jsc
i could wait anymore i just flashed stage 1 like not 30 mins ago and raod tested it
holy crap what a diffrence i defintley maxed out at about 17 psi also the power band is sooo much smoother to redline on the stock ecu at 5k id be at like 7 psi now it stays a steady 14-15psi and pulls all the way threw redline!!! very impressed!!! cxant wait for my damn iner cooler so i can put everything together and stage 2/protune amr !!! :D:D

#35 ·
If the ID of the SPT intake is the same as stock, it wont change a thing, and of course as long as the MAF/MAS is in the same position, nothing has really changed except for what his intake looks like and maybe sounds like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.