Subaru WRX Forum banner

SPT intake w/AP stage 2?

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
So I have searched, still no answer...I DID read the map notes on cobbs website under the 93 oct stage 2 and it says NO AFTERMARKET INTAKE WITH THIS MAP...but I've seen posts saying that cobb says its ok to use their intake, but not any other make of intake:confused: I dont get it. I just ordered my ap and dp friday last week..I have invidia G200 cb and SPT short ram....Do I need to take the intake off???? I dont want to.... Will I get the notorious boost creep if I leave the intake in?? Any 06's stage II out there using the ap and spt intake?? Thanks. Z

#3 ·
See thats the thing...I've seen in posts on this website with people saying that cobb says its ok to run their intake...but on the map notes on their website they say STOCK INTAKE ONLY..cobb says nothing about how its ok to use their intake....has anyone ever actually called cobb or wrote them about this?? I'm sure cobb gets this question all the time..

"For use with a 2006 WRX MT running a turbo-back exhaust system. Additional
modifications such an underdrive pulley, or panel filter are still within the
acceptable parameters of this mapping. MUST USE FACTORY INTAKE. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET
INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS MAPPING" ....per cobb...

I just thought Iwould try and ask u guys instead of bugging cobb.

#5 ·
I remember asking a similar question about using my K&N typhoon with the AP stage 2. What I was told was that Cobb and SPT are the only 2 intakes that really work flawlessly with the MAF. I think it has more to do with the location of the bend in the intake than the diameter (which matters, but a lot of companies make intakes with stock diameters). That's what I recall being told by a more knowledgable member, correct me if I'm wrong. I think Cobb makes that statement because they have not written their OTS maps using other companies' intakes and can't say that they all work well.

#6 ·
Cobb's intake was the original, the first to actually work well with the MAF without needing to be re-tuned. It works fine with the stock map or with a stage 2 map. SPT then shamelessly copied the Cobb design and then patted themselves on the back for their thorough testing.

#7 ·
Cobb Access Port and Cobb Intake

Hey Guys, apparently it says on Cobb's web site that you can in fact use their Short Ram intake in conjunction with both stage 1 and stage 2 tuning. This being said, it would seem that you should also be able to do the same with Subarus SPT Intake since the designs of both intakes are so similar. Below is the actual information from Cobbs website.

"The COBB Tuning SF Intake system is compatible with Stage 1 and Stage 2 OTS (off the shelf mapping) provided for our AccessPORT ecu tuning device."

#8 ·
Hey Guys, apparently it says on Cobb's web site that you can in fact use their Short Ram intake in conjunction with both stage 1 and stage 2 tuning. This being said, it would seem that you should also be able to do the same with Subarus SPT Intake since the designs of both intakes are so similar. Below is the actual information from Cobbs website.

"The COBB Tuning SF Intake system is compatible with Stage 1 and Stage 2 OTS (off the shelf mapping) provided for our AccessPORT ecu tuning device."
this might sound noobish but
OK, can somone explain to me what "off the shelf mapping" is? And what "MAF" means.. :confused:

thanks gaiz

#9 ·
OTS= general, basic, safe map used and able to run on any car with the exact mods listed by the company. There is always room for improvement over these "generic" maps, but they are also far better than not having one at all.

MAF= Mass Air Flow Sensor. Used to calculate/calibrate with your a/f ratio so car doenst run lean/rich.

Certain intakes especially CAI have the wrong diameter or a bend that causes turbulence and it throughs off your MAF, then making your car run poorly. Maybe not right away, but eventually it can/will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.