speed density???? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
speed density????

who knows about it? i hate draw through. makes no sense on a turbo car where intake temp and air readings need to be exact, BOV's are also fun

now im blow through and i like it however reversing the manifold is making it tough. the large foot long 3" pipe doesnt give much room. ive been reading about speed density and you only use the MAF for its intake temp and not for air readings. i believe this means i can install my MAF in the 2.5" FMIC pipe and just leave every thing else the same. anyone one more about it?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
What do you want to know? It's MAP based fueling. Been used since the early 80's. You can totally ditch the MAF and just use a GM IAT sensor or something along the same lines. Tons of info on NASIOC about wiring in the IAT sensor. Most run it with either the Hydra or AEM. The 16 bit ECU guys can use the Group-N ROM and run it on the stock ECU using Opensource software.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#3 Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Cobb supposedly was suppost to support Speed Density tunes also. In a update they had back a while ago...I don't how they "work" their way around to speed density. But, the information is out there on the interwebz if you want to search hard enough for it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Cobb supposedly was suppost to support Speed Density tunes also. In a update they had back a while ago...I don't how they "work" their way around to speed density.
Mainly because the MAP sensor can act as a "back up" airflow sensor if the MAF becomes damaged. It's already somewhat programmed into the ROMs you just have to find the all the speed density tables and define them.
Someone did it years ago for one of the 05 STI 32bit ROMs.
RomRaider • View topic - Speed Density FAQ
RomRaider • View topic - Preview of real running speed density on DBW ecu

#5 Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Always the man to come to with hard tune questions. Thanks Dumdum or donkey (your name on clubwrx) whatever you want to be called. Lol

Kirt
#6 Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
COBB AP is releasing speed density support soon. I think it'll bring a good amount of business to them. Only drawback to speed density is the apparent "difficulty" in running it. You need to have good access to a tuner that can take the time to set it up properly.

-Chris
#7 Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nice to know Chris. They released a statement they were supporting it a while back. I guess it took them a while to figure it out.

Kirt
#8 Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is it going to be on the Subie platform only?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Not sure if only for Subaru or not... I just got the inside info from my tuner. He's currently working with COBB to get COBB certified.

-Chris
#10 Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
*shutters* I was never a fan of SD, but then again my only real experience with it was with the Mustang and Camaros...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
WRXpert

The down side of SD is MAP based fueling does not account for changes in VE like MAF based fueling does. This means having to tune for almost any mod that increases airflow/VE. Also it's a PITA to tune.

#12 Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
guess ill have to ask my tuner. i know his partner has it on his 03 but im sure the 11 is a little different.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#13 Old 10-20-2011, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Found this on my other site for reference... I can't get on there from work...

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...inished-94774/

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3

Last edited by pzr2874; 10-20-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed
#14 Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Found this on my other site for reference... I can't get on there from work...

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/...inished-94774/
Page not found...noob

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

^Ya know, I copied straight from google.... I think something is fubar with this forum.... I copied and pasted it in the IE bar and it brings me back here... lol

You suck Keith.... haha

What THE.... I just looked at the link above... it has WRXTuners on there...

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/.../...finished-94774

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3