Southern Cali tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

timfurrow is an unknown
Southern Cali tune?

hey there subie owners. so i own an 05 WRX. have some basic mods. catback exhaust, cold air intake, lightweight flywheel. The CEL comes on and shuts off alot since getting the mods. Besides getting rid of my CEL issue, i just want to get an open source tune so that my rex runs more smoothly and at its potential. Does anyone have any advise for me and/or know of any import tuners in socal. Around how much is a basic stage one open source tune? thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you are willing to drive to Santa Clarita, I highly recommend Paul at this shop:

Yimi Sport Tuning Contact info and Directions

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#3 Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

sfelix818 is more helpful than not
+1 Paul at Yimi Sport. Great tuner good price.
#4 Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There's also Jon at HB Speed, largeorangefont, and Braden at XPT. All of them are pretty reputable. Out of all of them (including Paul) Braden and largeorangefont will probably be the cheapest (for you) because they charge by the hour, and you have very little mods. The other two have a fixed price, so you pay the same no matter what mods you have or how long it takes.

Another option is an internet tune. Normally that should only be a temporary solution, but you're only very mildly modified, so the changes to your tune will not be drastic. I think an internet tune would suffice. There's Dom @ getadomtune.com and Kieth at AWDtuning.com if you want to look into that.
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sinister is an unknown
Which intake is it? AEM, INJEN, or HKS?

The CEL is there from your intake. The problem is the air metering. You don't need a tune for a catback, or lightweight flywheel.

The cost of changing your intake to a K&N Typhoon SRI, or SPT SRI and selling the one you have on now is going to probably be less than the cost of a tune. Most tunes are approximately $300.00 The K&N SRI and SPT SRI don't have any metering issues like most others do. (the APS, and COBB as well, but I don't care for either)

If the lightweight flywheel weighs under 13lbs then you're not getting rid of that check engine light. Your car thinks it's misfiring because the engine speed is too quick. The ACT Streetlight flywheel is designed with that CEL issue in mind.

Back to the tuner thing. HBSpeed is well regarded, as well as Harman Motive. The latter quit tuning for a while, I don't know if they're back in that business or not though.

If you REALLY want a tune... at minimum get a downpipe first. Make the tune worthwhile!!