saft - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awdturb
saft

whats up everyone. I just installed a apexi safc on my 02 and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a simple tune..my mods are 3in cat back, short ram intake and throttle body coolant bypass. Just wondering if anyone has already tuned up there cars with a safc and i could bit off there settings. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
anyone got anything?? maybe live near or know someone in the philadelphia area
post #3 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 AM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
all i have to say is that subaru ecu is too complex to use a piggy-back interrupt controller on it. You might be able to tune A/F ratio a bit better but not nearly as efficiently as with an almost-stand alone (AP, Utec) or opensource. Too many other parameters also require change if you change AF ratio. However, one thing, since you already installed it, is to try to see how it works by means of incrimental changes. You can carefully do it by yourself and get an upstart on how to tune based on butt-dyno or Wide-Band 02 sensor readings.
Some best tuners are sing SAFC but on top of a primary AP or UTEC.
Hope this helps some. IF anybody else can chime in in more detail, it would be great!

drive = freedom
post #4 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
i know there are better ways but i just got a safc and a avcr both for 150!!! i already have the avcr installed and am really impressed with it. i dont intend to turn up the boost but just a lil tune for my mods. So what would be the best average a/f ratio to shoot for??
post #5 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
Stock maps are set up safely rich, in 10.xx-1 ratio, in some cases--9.xx-1. For more power safely 11.1-11.9 is what the majority is shooting for.
if you have everything hooked up already, try to start at 11.0-11.2 without turning up boost and see how the car responds.
Now, please be careful not to go over 12-1 at higher boost since that might be dangerous.
Just FYI: my car is set up to run 11.1-11.3 at WOT at 20psi on vf 30 turbo, my brother's car--10.9-1 at 24 psi on a ported vf39 turbo.
Do it at your own risk and good luck...

drive = freedom
post #6 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by b7g View Post
all i have to say is that subaru ecu is too complex to use a piggy-back interrupt controller on it. You might be able to tune A/F ratio a bit better but not nearly as efficiently as with an almost-stand alone (AP, Utec) or opensource. Too many other parameters also require change if you change AF ratio. However, one thing, since you already installed it, is to try to see how it works by means of incrimental changes. You can carefully do it by yourself and get an upstart on how to tune based on butt-dyno or Wide-Band 02 sensor readings.
Some best tuners are sing SAFC but on top of a primary AP or UTEC.
Hope this helps some. IF anybody else can chime in in more detail, it would be great!
Utecs are not a stand alone they to are a piggy back system. My best advice is to search google for any info or ask DUMDUM our resident expert he might be able to help some.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenthomas View Post
Utecs are not a stand alone they to are a piggy back system. My best advice is to search google for any info or ask DUMDUM our resident expert he might be able to help some.
yes, however UTEC almost completely takes over in open-loop mode making it almost-standalone.

drive = freedom
post #8 of 17 Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by b7g View Post
yes, however UTEC almost completely takes over in open-loop mode making it almost-standalone.
I know I have one I just wanted to make sure it was stated right. MODs hate it when we do that.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdturb View Post
i know there are better ways but i just got a safc and a avcr both for 150!!! i already have the avcr installed and am really impressed with it. i dont intend to turn up the boost but just a lil tune for my mods. So what would be the best average a/f ratio to shoot for??
And how do you plan on tuning the timing?The ECU will learn around the safc in about a week or two.Welcome to the future.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #10 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
can i dumb down the ecu with a open source flash??
post #11 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
I dont wan to to uninstall it, it still gives me some good information like injector duty throttle pressure rpm Karmann Air flow %.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
you can not dumb down the ecu. I would play with it on safe levels and then sell the afc, buy the tactrix and keep the boost controller for the future.

drive = freedom
post #13 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
im not being an as*hole but why dosent it learn around tactix flash?? and if it dosent learn around that why cant i tune with the afc on top of the tactix????
post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I am asumming your are actually using the SAFC and not the SAFC II or NEO.Because when you reflash the computer,you actually change the logic/parameters/programing of the ECU.Your not trying to manipulate signals.With the SAFC,on newer OBDII cars,it just isn't designed to work with some of the "smarter" ECU's.In the WRX/STi's case the O2 sensor feedback will let the ECU learn around the SAFC. Your rear O2 takes care of cat efficiency and your LTFT while the front does the actual AFR's and STFT.Plus ,depending on the model,the SAFC only reference rpm & throttle position for fuel and moddify the airflow/MAP signal.That is a crappy way of doing fuel.The stock ECU takes into account about 10-15 different signals for that.RPM,throttle,load,altitude,coolant temp,IAT,fuel temp.....

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!

Last edited by dumdum; 04-29-2008 at 01:57 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
a SAFC is good for say, a DSM simple ECU's I used one for well over 300 wheel HP. As everyone stated the Subaru ECU is to smart.