Subaru WRX Forum banner

Question About Stage 1 Map

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wrxnh 
#1 ·
I'm gonna try to make this as short as possible. I have 2009 Wrx with muffler delete, resonator delete and k&n drop in filter. I also use 93 octane.
I have a v2 Cobb accessport and plan on running stage1 map. (I havent set it up yet)
Now,... the Cobb website said its best to return to the stock air filter due to the MAF reading, it should be re-calibrated etc... also, it said I could potentially run the car dangerously lean.
Does anyone have this setup? (or similar) is it really that bad to stay with the k&n drop in filter while running stage1 map? what should I do, any help or advice would great.
Thanks

#2 ·
If Cobb says so, I would trust it on their OTS maps. Can't say for your specific year, since I have an 06, but I hear the 08+ are a bit more particular when it comes to intake/exhaust. I would throw a paper filter back in. I assume you have the stock downpipe if you are running stage 1?

#3 ·
So long story short, the damage has been done already, running with modified intake and exhaust components with no tune is considerably more dangerous then running them with a stage 1 OTS tune.

That said I dont have a scope to put in your cylinder or a used oil analysis to tell how healthy your engine is at the moment but if you run the drop in filter and the stage 1 maps and you take a few logs and everything is cool then I would say no harm no foul.

I had a drop in AEM air filter for about 6 months before I got my Cobb intake and I did not notice any anomalies in my logs when comparing them to cobbs examples and even sending them to Cobb they didnt report anything out of the ordinary.

Thats the best advice I can give, Install the accessport and flash the maps, drive carefully and take logs and if the logs say everything is in spec then your good. If the logs show the ecu freaking out then it might be worth rolling a few parts back to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.