Protune time!!! - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Protune time!!!

Alright guys, so I am about to order the Grimmspeed 3 port, DeatschWerks 1000cc Injectors, DeatschWerks Fuel Pump, Perrin turbo Inlet, and the black Perrin TMIC!
Is there anything else I should get while I am at it or am I good for right now?

Also i live about 100 miles from the tuner shop I am going to, so my question is:
Should I install all this at home then drive to the shop since most of it is down hill, because it is a lot of work to do. will my car be safe driving it that far to get it tuned?

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
IMO I wouldn't chance doing damage to the engine, down hill, up hill, valley, or mountains, heck no. Some times it's better to pay and be safe then not pay up front and pay more when the damage is done. When I recently went to get my car tuned, I had the GS 3 port installed and my tuner said that it needed to be tuned for right after installation, not that someone else may say different. I would think your ecu would be all confused with the bigger injectors and pump installed and even if you stay out of boost may be bad for the engine and ecu. If you are willing to pay for the damage that may be happen, then go ahead and chance it, but I wouldn't.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #3 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You can't drive the car with a 3 port installed unless you have a limp map or can tune it yourself. The same thing goes for the injectors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
arewmors likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Nathan,

If i were you I would lookup a garage for rent near your tuner.where in California is your tuner? I might be able to point you towards a rent-a-garage where you could do the work near your tuner.

The kid in me says it'll be fine, but the adult in me is paying for the car so its his rules : )
post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Nathan,

If i were you I would lookup a garage for rent near your tuner.where in California is your tuner? I might be able to point you towards a rent-a-garage where you could do the work near your tuner.

The kid in me says it'll be fine, but the adult in me is paying for the car so its his rules : )
Umm...no. His WGDC and boost tables will be all jacked up because of the 3 port bcs and the larger injectors will flood his cylinders. So, he won't be able to start the car and he won't even be able to drive it there. Tow it there if you want to install it yourself or don't bother installing it before your at the tuner's and can push it in. Because you'd need a limp map for the 3 port bcs and injectors otherwise.

Kirt
post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Umm...no. His WGDC and boost tables will be all jacked up because of the 3 port bcs and the larger injectors will flood his cylinders. So, he won't be able to start the car and he won't even be able to drive it there. Tow it there if you want to install it yourself or don't bother installing it before your at the tuner's and can push it in. Because you'd need a limp map for the 3 port bcs and injectors otherwise.

I was suggesting that he drive it stock down to his tuner, then take it to a local rent-a-garage to install the parts. out here in SoCal there are garages for rent everywhere.

im sorry my sarcasm at the end was ill received, please don't mod your car without the proper tune, especially when your playing with fuel and air.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I was suggesting that he drive it stock down to his tuner, then take it to a local rent-a-garage to install the parts. out here in SoCal there are garages for rent everywhere.

im sorry my sarcasm at the end was ill received, please don't mod your car without the proper tune, especially when your playing with fuel and air.
My mistake then. Yeah, sarcasm needs a /sarcasm tag or something. Most people don't catch on unless we get to know you better.

Kirt
post #8 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Nathan,

fsr in claremont, I have AAA and so I think I will do the work at my house and then have them tow me down there
Can't pay anything more since all these parts kicked my ass enough and then tune will forsure have my bank account trying to murder me!

Also I have all the same tools in my garage as any shop would besides a lift and the dyno haha
Thanks guys! I guess I will take my time installing and then have AAA take me down there!

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
That's a really safe bet.

Please let us know what numbers you post when you go : )
post #10 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Why such large injectors g? Are you going e85 or something? I would do tgv's also since your going to be right in there where they are.

When I did all my install before the tune luckily I didn't have to worry about driving anywhere. Just got .y maps emailed right to me. Your tuner will probably send you a map to make it to the shop on if you ask or maybe put down a deposit on the tune.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The one thing really preventing you from driving it would be the injectors. Have your tuner send you a base map. That's a pretty basic setup.

A lot of DW300s have been failing, just FYI.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
walboro 255 isn't a direct fit for the 08+ subies
Adair, I will be switching to a different turbo later on once I do my internals.
also idk if I should do the tgv delete but idk if I should do a DIY job or send it it. plus if I send them in to get that done I will be out my car for even longer.
and i dont know where I can buy the tgvs from

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement