Protune question? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Protune question?

I was wondering if it is a waste of money to get a Protune for my car even though I dont have that many mods done?

All I have done right now was put K&N intake, Perrin IC hoses,inlet hose and GFB BOV.
And theres a aftermarket axel back exhaust on the car not sure what kind it is though? was on there when I bought it.
My next step was to get a DP.

Im not sure what to even ask about when I contact someone about a tune??
Any info would really help me in the right direction because I am really in the dark.

I was looking for shops w a good rep. around me and found this place Homepage

Thanks.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
I would atleast wait until you get the dp...
post #3 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Grab the DP and get a tune. CBRD is a awesome place. Just a real P.I.T.A to get a hold of Chad at times. If you're e-mailing him put CBRD in the subject title to get his attention. The phone is always a hard way to get a hold of him. Its pretty much 3 guys running a top notch shop and Chad does all the paperwork/managing/and tuning. So, he's pretty busy all the time. Considering guys from all over the east coast go there for work on their EVOS. He works on Subies too. So no worries, they just have a high EVO reputation.

Edit: If you're having troubles getting a hold of them, just swing by.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
another good shop is Ivey Tune in NJ

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 15 Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Slowboy out by State College is maybe a closer one, but I cant say anything personally about them, I just have only heard real good things about em.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #6 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i read some good stuff about these guys ( Auto Master AMR - Home of the Worlds Highest Horsepower Stock ECU Daily Driven STi ) and their rather close to us

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #7 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you consider a 2 hour 30 min drive close. Damn, nothing is close to you guys...that sucks.

Kirt
post #8 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Do you have any type of EM right now on your car?

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
post #9 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Do you have any type of EM right now on your car?
Not that Im aware of.
I bought it used about a year ago w 82k and one owner, the only thing it had aftermarket on it when I got it was a axelback exhaust. Not sure what kind though?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
you need to get some sort of EM on that thing ASAP. Just do you research and talk to guys on here about what your goals are with the car and go from there. Cobb costs some $$$$ but very easy to use and alot of people are happy with it. I loved it!!!

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
post #11 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah Kirt, nothing. I would think Scranton or Wilkes-Barre would have a tuner, but I am yet to hear of one. I was kinda thinking of using your tuner maybe sometime this summer, but like you said....its a drive man.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #12 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chad is good, just hard to get a hold of at times. He e-mails me back everytime I e-mail him though. I just learned how to get his attention at this point. But, I'm going to swing by next week if I don't get some good news this week about my up and coming project. Apprantly IAG is dropping the ball at this point. They have the headers, but they haven't made my UP yet. So, until that gets made...I'm stuck waiting for the parts. *shakes a fist at IAG*

Kirt
post #13 of 15 Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah Ill probably contact Chad I searched around and so far he's has the best rep. in the area
If I should get a tune right now what would be the numbers you think I would get as far as increase in power?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
*shakes a fist at IAG*
Aw, be nice to IAG. They did a fantastic job rolling and pulling my fenders and I'll probably go back there for another alignment after I purchase/install the rest of my suspension goodies and a pro tune after I gather my post-Stage2/pre-turbo upgrade goodies. Great bunch of guys in that shop... even though the mechanics kept trying to sell me BC coils

John
07 WRX
post #15 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct View Post
Yeah Ill probably contact Chad I searched around and so far he's has the best rep. in the area
If I should get a tune right now what would be the numbers you think I would get as far as increase in power?
I'd grab a DP if I was you. What you have on so far isn't really going to make a lot of power over a Stage 1 tune. Because the stock DP is such a restriction. If you're e-mailing Chad just use CBRD as your subject. That normally works to get his attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Aw, be nice to IAG. They did a fantastic job rolling and pulling my fenders and I'll probably go back there for another alignment after I purchase/install the rest of my suspension goodies and a pro tune after I gather my post-Stage2/pre-turbo upgrade goodies. Great bunch of guys in that shop... even though the mechanics kept trying to sell me BC coils
LOL, John I'm not hating on them. I just want my parts shipped from them to my tuner. My tuner and IAG get a long pretty well. Which is awesome, considering IAG is a really good Subie tuner also and Chad is very good EVO tuner. Chad won't work on anything else but EVOs and WRX/STIs. So, he knows his way around Subies. I'm glad you had a good experience with them John.

Kirt