Subaru WRX Forum banner

Protune.......????

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hondaeater 
#1 ·
I have heard of people talking about a protune on your car after having a turbo catback installed. Is this what a UTEC, Accessport are? Please explain. Sorry for the dumb question guys. Thanks

#2 ·
no, an acessport or a UTEC are both EM (engine management) systems but neither come with a "pro tune". You can street tune them pretty well but to get the most out of your car you need to put it on a dyno with one of these systems so it can be fully tuned. This is what you're referring to as a "pro tune"

#3 ·
Actually a pro-tune is what Accesport users use. They are maps specifically made for you car that can be loaded onto the Accessport, some shops have a pro-tuner available to create these maps. They run your car on a dyno then create the map then put that map on your accessport. Cobb also has a street tuner which is software which lets you tune your own car without using a dyno, basically the same thing as a pro-tuner just not with a dyno. Unless you know about tuning I highly recommend you don't buy a street tuner+ ap, i would just recommend you get an accessport then take your car in to a shop which has pro-tuner capabilities.

#9 ·
Well the guy is charging 125/hr for his tuning and the dyno is 100/hr. He said w/ the following maps made, it should take 1.5 hours at most:

Stage 2 93 octane
Stage 2 104 octane
STX 93 octane
STX 104 octane
Valet
Afterfire

All of those in real and base type maps. I just couldn't find any of the race gas so I am getting all the maps made except the race gas ones. I'm guessing an hour of time, so $225 out of my pocket :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.