Problems with Cobb install - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

np_wrx is an unknown
Problems with Cobb install

Whats up guys, my friend has an 04 sti and just got his cobb v1. he was trying to install it and he got an error because the guy that had the car before, never unmarried his accessport. He was told that he needed to reflash his ecu back to stock. Can he just reset it with those devices they use at autozone to check cel's, or what do you guys suggest?

thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
No.Using Opensource software and a Tactrix cable should flash over the Cobb map.If not he could send his ECU to Cobb.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

np_wrx is an unknown
do u think he can just go to subaru and get it reflashed back to stock?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-10-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

np_wrx is an unknown
& thx for the reply
post #5 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

darthsofearu is an unknown
damn... id call the guy and try to find out who has the old access port. see if they will help. ### if he sold the ap then whoever he sold it to cant use it since its still married to that car. thats my best advice. and auto zone probably wont work. best of luck to your friend
post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by np_wrx View Post
do u think he can just go to subaru and get it reflashed back to stock?
Thats a good idea.You could call and find out.I would compare the prices though.$80 for a Tactrix cable that combined with the free Opensource software loggers gives you the ability to troubleshoot,monitor,log,revise maps,read and clear CEL/DTC's or go to Subaru and pay for them to flash the car back just to flash the AP.I would sell the AP and just buy the Tactrix if you got a laptop.You'll come out ahead and it can be used on multiple vehicles.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

RedWingKoz is an unknown
+1 to DumDum. Get the cable and flash it back to stock. The stock map is free and then you can get free maps for most upgrades you put on your car. I flashed my 07 wagon with Gabedude's R29 Stage 1 and it's running great.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

np_wrx is an unknown
He wants to use his cobb, doesnt really like open source. But if he gets the tactrix cable he can just get the stock map and his cobb will work?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by np_wrx View Post
He wants to use his cobb, doesnt really like open source. But if he gets the tactrix cable he can just get the stock map and his cobb will work?
I'm not 100% sure,but i think you can.I don't believe Cobb locks out the ECU with their maps.You or your friend could try searching around on WWW.ENGINUITY.ORG or post that specific question.Those guys should know 100%.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

np_wrx is an unknown
Thx alot dumdum, well go ahead and check on that.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

np_sti is an unknown
thnx

hey thanks alot guys im checking with enginuity to see if i can flash over the ecu with the cable but another quick question are those cables specific to every year for example will one that a friend used on a 07 wrx work on my 04 sti?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
It should tell you which cable is right for your model year on the site. The Cobb AP doesn't lock out the ECU, but it does marry the AP to the ECU using the cars VIN stored in the ECU, which prevents you from using the AP on another car. A reflash from Subaru will cost around $300, at least that is what I have seen from something like this before. $600+$300=$900 for a Cobb reflash...hmmmm not what I would pay.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 13 Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by np_sti View Post
for example will one that a friend used on a 07 wrx work on my 04 sti?
It works on all.The only difference is the 02-05 WRX's with the 16bit ECU's require a jumper block to flash while the 04+ STi/06+WRX don't require the purchase of the jumper blocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement