Subaru WRX Forum banner

pro tuning vs. em

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  amanMaphia 
#1 ·
i'm ready for stage 2 finally on my 02 rex, and i have done my research, but i still don't know the difference between a pro tune and using some sort of EM???

What does a pro tune consist of? Would it be the same if I just got a tactrix cable and uploaded stage 2 maps myself? then I can reupload if I decide to do more mods.

I put on my TBE last weekend, I got it from Ebay brands. The fit was great, it has a nice deep boxer sound, and it only cost 175 bucks shipped. So all you cheap a$$es out there, i say go for it.

Also should this tbe be noticably reducing my mpgs? minus the fact I am driving aggressive to test it out.

thanks in advance for all you respones.:rocks::rocks::rocks:

#2 ·
any form of em you get is basicly just a base map, every car is different so once you load a base map be it from the AP, open source or whatever, to get optimum proformance from the base map it needs to be tuned buy a Tuner.
the term protuned that people throw around is only when you tune your ap, with their PROTUNER software. otherwise it just a tune.

your mpg will suck reallly bad until you get it tuned before my tune i was getting aroun 200-220 to a tank, after the tune i get like 280-300 out of a tank

#3 ·
thanks for the info. thats good to know.
So i'm guessing you didn't have any other em just a tune. What other mods did you have before you added the tbe? Did you do your up at the same time?

Also let me get some more opinions on the subject because i'm also worried about boost spike issues, but since i have an 2002 i hear it is not an issue. I don't have a boost gauge.

#4 ·
i use the stock ECU that is reflashed by Opensource via the tactrix cable, he loads the same base map that you can get then he fine tunes it.
i did my TBE, uppipe and reflash all at the same time and got 213 to the wheels

#6 ·
sorry for all the questions...
but if i go ahead and reflash myself i will be able to fix my mpgs and get close to what the tune would do? It just won't be "super-tweaked" by the tuner.

Also can you tell me more about boost spike. Mine is an 02 so i have no worries, right?

#7 ·
if this will work i am going to get the cable and maybe wait until I do some more upgrades to get the "protune".

If i get the cable then you will see some questions fly. There is so much info and jumble out there on the cable. Someone give me some easy directions, like step 1...step 2... i'll figure it out though i've seen some descent directions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.