Perrin "tuned" AP maps - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Perrin "tuned" AP maps

So I was checkin out perrin performance and came upon these "tuned" AP maps. From what I've read, a "tuned" map is specific for that individual car so how can they sell a "tuned" map that they claim adds 10-20WHP on top of the allready gained 10-30 hp from the stock ap maps?? When I called my closest tuner around me he said the tune would take 2 hours, cost 400 bucks and he usually sees a gain for stg II 06's from 10-20whp..the perrin maps cost 180...I'm thinking maybe the tune through the actual tuner is a safer tune? Anybody try one of these maps from perrin? Z

Perrin Performance - PERRIN tuned AccessPORT maps

12.7 @ 109

Last edited by zmanoside; 03-31-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Perrin has a great reputation, but I see and understand where you are coming from. I would probably just go and get one done at a tune shop if you trust them. Then you can actually see the graph and car, and make sure its tuned to your liking.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 08:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the overhead left from my "base" stock 2 cobb map to my "pro-tuned" map was actually quite small. If they're really saying 10whp more than stage 2, on a car like mine that could actually cause knock and other problems. Base maps are conservative for a reason. Not all cars can run substantially more aggressive tunes safely.

I think perrin's a great company but I have to be highly suspicious of selling more aggressive base maps. It's a bad idea and at >$150, it's a crappy value. Use the base maps and then get a pro-tune that'll actually maximize your car safely and efficiently.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

^^ yep, thats what I was thinking. Safe, OPTIMAL HP w/ a tuner....still curious if anyone has tried these....

12.7 @ 109
post #5 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLACK07STI is an unknown
I Had Called Perrin Recently And Talk To A Guy That Said It Would Only Give 10 To 15 Hp And I Could Not Use My Spt Intake. I Searched Around And Found One At Bushur Racing Tune By Dynoflash For 150$. They Will Match Anything You Have From, Pulleys To Cold Air. The Cool Part Is You Still Can Use Your Ap. Remember To Tell Them That You Still Want The 2 Step.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

red08WRX is an unknown
I called and he asked me specific what have i done to the car. I told him, plus i have very basic things..actually i wouldnt call them anything: SPT cbe and a filter. Not to hard to sum up to what they done to their 08 WRX. I def like how the car feels at a simple stg 1. Thats not to say I dont want more, im use to more. I got a q' if you were to blow your motor and it had a "more safe" tune by a local "tuner" are they going to cover the costs? I highly doubt it!!

Sport Grill\SPT CBE\K&N Drop In\10k HID kit\Cobb AP\Perrin Stg 1 Tuned Map
post #7 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

08wrx101 is an unknown
Is anyone running a 93 octane stage 1 Perrin map? Any difference when you switch to a 93 octane stage 1 COBB map? I don't have an AP yet but leaning towards perrin as the first map is free if you buy stage 1 kit for an extra $9.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
For what it's worth, here's what my tuner made over Perrin's Stage 2 map. Blue is custom tune, Dark Green is Perrin Stage 2.

It's also important to note the following: I'm a SoCal car, so I'm running horrible 91 octane. For kicks, he did a dyno pull with Cobb Stage 2 ACN, and it put out better numbers than the Perrin map. I don't recall what the exact figures were, but Cobbs map, albiet running lower boost, made ~8-10 whp more and like ~13-15 wtq more.

To put it simply, I'm a huge advocate of custom tunes. I've never walked away from a Tuner with less power. Off the shelf tunes will do you good for a while, but if you want to extract the most out of your car, or are running anything outside of the Staged params, I highly recommend a custom tune be done.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Very interesting. Your mods are exactly the same for both runs with just different maps?? Thats a pretty huge difference!!! Thanks for the post! I actually just found out yesterday that my wife is getting me a protune for Christmas!!! I am super stoked!!! I wish I still lived in Oceanside so I could hook up with Crawford but I'm in NC now so I'll be hitting up a place called Draco Performance. I've heard nothing but great things from there, but the tune will be on a "heartbreaker" mustang dyno. I'll make a post when I get it tuned within the next couple of weeks with some numbers.

Z

12.7 @ 109
post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
How is it a "heartbreaker" dyno? Dynapack is hp at the hub...not at the actual wheel.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Heartbreaker is just a phrase I have heard Mustang dyno's refered to as. So thats the difference huh? One is at the wheels and the other is at the hub? Wierd. I wouldn't expect hp/tq numbers to be that different.

edit--did some reading on the different types of dynos. Pretty cool stuff. Didnt really understand why two dynos would have different readings but it makes perfect sense now.

12.7 @ 109
post #12 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cool...care to share the links? Yeah, a few different dynos are out there and they don't all rate the same. I'm sure if you found some good info. People would be interested in reading it.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Mustang Dynos, often called "hearbreaker dynos" read about 5% lower than most people spec at. They're the most accurate way of reading. Anyway, Dynapacks read about 10% higher than most people spec at. In other words, they see HALF the drivetrain losses a mustang dyno will see.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #14 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Cool...care to share the links? Yeah, a few different dynos are out there and they don't all rate the same. I'm sure if you found some good info. People would be interested in reading it.
I'm too lazy to go back and find all the links I was reading. I pretty much just typed in --differences between dynos---or some shit like that into google and was picking out all different reads, from different forums to performance shop websites. Google is my friend Maybe if I get bored in the next few days I'll do some kind of writeup on the different dynos....I think it would make for a good sticky.

Z

12.7 @ 109
post #15 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

That'd be cool...