Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Perrin "tuned" AP maps (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/perrin-tuned-ap-maps-22830/)

zmanoside 03-31-2008 06:54 PM

Perrin "tuned" AP maps

So I was checkin out perrin performance and came upon these "tuned" AP maps. From what I've read, a "tuned" map is specific for that individual car:confused: so how can they sell a "tuned" map that they claim adds 10-20WHP on top of the allready gained 10-30 hp from the stock ap maps?? When I called my closest tuner around me he said the tune would take 2 hours, cost 400 bucks and he usually sees a gain for stg II 06's from 10-20whp..the perrin maps cost 180...I'm thinking maybe the tune through the actual tuner is a safer tune? Anybody try one of these maps from perrin? Z

[url=http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/384/PERRIN-tuned-AccessPORT-maps?category=43&model=18]Perrin Performance - PERRIN tuned AccessPORT maps[/url]

newtothegame 03-31-2008 07:07 PM

Perrin has a great reputation, but I see and understand where you are coming from. I would probably just go and get one done at a tune shop if you trust them. Then you can actually see the graph and car, and make sure its tuned to your liking.

mosc 03-31-2008 08:12 PM

the overhead left from my "base" stock 2 cobb map to my "pro-tuned" map was actually quite small. If they're really saying 10whp more than stage 2, on a car like mine that could actually cause knock and other problems. Base maps are conservative for a reason. Not all cars can run substantially more aggressive tunes safely.

I think perrin's a great company but I have to be highly suspicious of selling more aggressive base maps. It's a bad idea and at >$150, it's a crappy value. Use the base maps and then get a pro-tune that'll actually maximize your car safely and efficiently.

zmanoside 03-31-2008 08:43 PM

^^ yep, thats what I was thinking. Safe, OPTIMAL HP w/ a tuner....still curious if anyone has tried these....

BLACK07STI 09-18-2008 04:37 AM

I Had Called Perrin Recently And Talk To A Guy That Said It Would Only Give 10 To 15 Hp And I Could Not Use My Spt Intake. I Searched Around And Found One At Bushur Racing Tune By Dynoflash For 150$. They Will Match Anything You Have From, Pulleys To Cold Air. The Cool Part Is You Still Can Use Your Ap. Remember To Tell Them That You Still Want The 2 Step.

red08WRX 11-13-2008 11:43 AM

I called and he asked me specific what have i done to the car. I told him, plus i have very basic things..actually i wouldnt call them anything: SPT cbe and a filter. Not to hard to sum up to what they done to their 08 WRX. I def like how the car feels at a simple stg 1. Thats not to say I dont want more, im use to more. I got a q' if you were to blow your motor and it had a "more safe" tune by a local "tuner" are they going to cover the costs? I highly doubt it!!

08wrx101 12-04-2008 04:31 PM

Is anyone running a 93 octane stage 1 Perrin map? Any difference when you switch to a 93 octane stage 1 COBB map? I don't have an AP yet but leaning towards perrin as the first map is free if you buy stage 1 kit for an extra $9.

Boost Addict 12-26-2008 11:00 AM

For what it's worth, here's what my tuner made over Perrin's Stage 2 map. Blue is custom tune, Dark Green is Perrin Stage 2.

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/Boost_Addict/2008%20WRX%20Mods/WRXchurchdyno01.jpg[/IMG]

It's also important to note the following: I'm a SoCal car, so I'm running horrible 91 octane. For kicks, he did a dyno pull with Cobb Stage 2 ACN, and it put out better numbers than the Perrin map. I don't recall what the exact figures were, but Cobbs map, albiet running lower boost, made ~8-10 whp more and like ~13-15 wtq more.

To put it simply, I'm a huge advocate of custom tunes. I've never walked away from a Tuner with less power. Off the shelf tunes will do you good for a while, but if you want to extract the most out of your car, or are running anything outside of the Staged params, I highly recommend a custom tune be done.

zmanoside 12-26-2008 06:50 PM

Very interesting. Your mods are exactly the same for both runs with just different maps?? Thats a pretty huge difference!!! Thanks for the post! I actually just found out yesterday that my wife is getting me a protune for Christmas!!! I am super stoked!!! I wish I still lived in Oceanside so I could hook up with Crawford but I'm in NC now so I'll be hitting up a place called Draco Performance. I've heard nothing but great things from there, but the tune will be on a "heartbreaker" mustang dyno. I'll make a post when I get it tuned within the next couple of weeks with some numbers.

Z

turmic 12-29-2008 03:01 AM

How is it a "heartbreaker" dyno? Dynapack is hp at the hub...not at the actual wheel.

zmanoside 12-29-2008 03:11 AM

Heartbreaker is just a phrase I have heard Mustang dyno's refered to as. So thats the difference huh? One is at the wheels and the other is at the hub? Wierd. I wouldn't expect hp/tq numbers to be that different.

edit--did some reading on the different types of dynos. Pretty cool stuff. Didnt really understand why two dynos would have different readings but it makes perfect sense now.

turmic 12-29-2008 03:39 AM

Cool...care to share the links? :) Yeah, a few different dynos are out there and they don't all rate the same. I'm sure if you found some good info. People would be interested in reading it.

mosc 12-29-2008 10:13 AM

Mustang Dynos, often called "hearbreaker dynos" read about 5% lower than most people spec at. They're the most accurate way of reading. Anyway, Dynapacks read about 10% higher than most people spec at. In other words, they see HALF the drivetrain losses a mustang dyno will see.

zmanoside 12-29-2008 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=turmic;211986]Cool...care to share the links? :) Yeah, a few different dynos are out there and they don't all rate the same. I'm sure if you found some good info. People would be interested in reading it.[/QUOTE]

I'm too lazy to go back and find all the links I was reading. I pretty much just typed in --differences between dynos---or some shit like that into google and was picking out all different reads, from different forums to performance shop websites. Google is my friend!Thumbs Up Maybe if I get bored in the next few days I'll do some kind of writeup on the different dynos....I think it would make for a good sticky.

Z

turmic 12-30-2008 02:00 PM

That'd be cool...:cool: