part thottle full boost-spike problem... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Labukas19 is more helpful than not
part thottle full boost-spike problem...

ok guys heres the deal. i have an 06 TR. Cobb stage one and a k&n filter (with opened up air box a little)
Im reading boost off of my access port.
the AP says i am hitting about 12-13 psi with 1/2 ish throttle then quickly backs off to about 6-9 psi. holds the 12-13 for about a second. it does this in 3rd gear and 4th never tried in 5th... at about 2600 rpms. i know im loading the car up a little. but it still shouldnt be hitting the much boost at 1/2 throttle. its really just spiking to that much. i seen it spike to 15 already but quickly backs off. i figured its doing this b/c of the high WGDC of stage one.
note i also flashed it about 4 days ago. not to many miles on it. will it learn it self yet? or is this just how stage one is? or is it just my driving habbits? any help is appreciated! thanks!!!
ALSO it is cold here in PA. so temps are about 34-39*
Thanks!
Happy turkey day all!

2001 COBRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
This is the main problem with the AP.Generic maps.Don't think the car is going to learn around this.Probably needs the turbo dynamics or wastegate duty cycle compensation per intake temp adjusted.Fast fix might be to adjust the wastegate arm preload.You want to remove preload,not add.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

so i'll extend it maybe a half a turn then.. sound right? see i wish i went open source again.. (did it on my 04) now i cant do anything... can you upload a cobb map to enginuity and change it? or cobb files arnt readable buy it?

2001 COBRA
post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labukas19 View Post
so i'll extend it maybe a half a turn then.. sound right? see i wish i went open source again.. (did it on my 04) now i cant do anything... can you upload a cobb map to enginuity and change it? or cobb files arnt readable buy it?
If you want to use Opensorce,sell the Cobb.Download the Street Tuner Beta from Cobb to make changes to Cobb's maps......

post #5 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks dumdum i'll look into that.. maybe ill just go full open source again... you think stage two will do the same for me (with the cobb ap) i know the wgdc is alot lower on stage two. it just seems there is too much wgdc at part throttle...
i flashed back to stock and no boost issues...

also got a quick ? for yah dumdum... over on another forum (not mention any names or anything)some guy said i will blow my car up because i opend up my stock air box a little on the bottom... he is a pretty repituble guy also. but that sound crazy.. i have a k&n drop in only no srai or cai or anything... sound nuts to you?

2001 COBRA
post #6 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
WRXpert

Quote:

also got a quick ? for yah dumdum... over on another forum (not mention any names or anything)some guy said i will blow my car up because i opend up my stock air box a little on the bottom... he is a pretty repituble guy also. but that sound crazy.. i have a k&n drop in only no srai or cai or anything... sound nuts to you?
What exactly did you do and what did he give an explanation why?

post #7 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i "hacked" my factory air box a little. you know where there is the little round whole on it? where it connects to the elbow... i cut it square and back a little so its opened up a little more. it's more of a noise thing. i was just bored one day so i cut the big resonator on the bottom of the elbow off and cut the bottom of my air box a little. he is saying that is why im having my boost spike issuse b/c i am not following what cobb says.. i said its a freaking WGDC problem... sad thing is he is a real repituble guy on that site. you know of any low waste gate duty cycle maps for a v1?

2001 COBRA
post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 06:29 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
i "hacked" my factory air box a little. you know where there is the little round whole on it? where it connects to the elbow... i cut it square and back a little so its opened up a little more. it's more of a noise thing. i was just bored one day so i cut the big resonator on the bottom of the elbow off and cut the bottom of my air box a little. he is saying that is why im having my boost spike issuse b/c i am not following what cobb says.. i said its a freaking WGDC problem... sad thing is he is a real repituble guy on that site. you know of any low waste gate duty cycle maps for a v1?
I found the thread and that is not quite what he is saying.He is being alittle dramatic about it but he is correct.Becarefull about modding your car outside of the OTS map parameters.Cutting a hole in the bottom of your airbox will do nothing to inhance performance but it could decrease it.You typically do not want to pull in hot air from under the hood.I doubt your moddification is causing your problem but anytime you free up a restriction before(intake side) or after (exhaust side) the turbo it allows the turbo to become more efficient and because of this it would require less wastegate duty to control the boost level at the same psi.Especially when you start getting up in higher boost levels with the stock boost solenoid.

Last edited by dumdum; 11-28-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Doh..meant less wastegate not more.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I found the thread and that is not quite what he is saying.He is being alittle dramatic about it but he is correct.Becarefull about modding your car outside of the OTS map parameters.Cutting a hole in the bottom of your airbox will do nothing to inhance performance but it could decrease it.You typically do not want to pull in hot air from under the hood.I doubt your moddification is causing your problem but anytime you free up a restriction before(intake side) or after (exhaust side) the turbo it allows the turbo to become more efficient and because of this it would require more wastegate duty to control the boost level at the same psi.Especially when you start getting up in higher boost levels with the stock boost solenoid.
thanks for helping me out over there!!!
yea i shouldnt have done it. im going to look for a stock one now... but yea turning the wg out half worked great. im still hitting target boost, and no more noticeable lag then it was, and best of all NO PTFB! when the weather warms up, ill turn it back... now with stage 2 will i have the problem? im going with a cobb catted dp, so hopefully dont have to worry bout creep... i know the stage 2 map is alot less wgdc...

dang these subarus are way more picky then DSM's lol... only thing you have to worry about them is boost leaks! (and if the car will start for you!!!) lol
But thanks for all your help!!! i always get stumped on the stupid problems. I think since its my car i always think the worst! lol

2001 COBRA
post #10 of 13 Old 11-28-2008, 08:46 PM
WRXpert

The main problem is the stock turbo wastegate size is too small for the 2.5L. I have no idea if you will have the same problem with stage 2.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hey just to update all problem fixed. im back at the factory wg rod adj. i called up cobb and dealt with chris and he made me a custom ots map (sounds kinda funny custom ots map lol)
but all he did was lower the target boost at 2500 at part throttle lowered it a couple psi... problem all gone now!!! thanks for all the help guys!

2001 COBRA
post #12 of 13 Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Good deal...yeah, many people forget that dealing directly with cobb probably isn't a bad idea. They're very helpful when given the chance.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yea chris h. from cobb def got an A+ for customer service...

2001 COBRA