Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Overboosting on LWG AP Tune, Please Help (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/overboosting-lwg-ap-tune-please-help-45346/)

G0ATLIF3 02-27-2014 04:15 PM

Overboosting on LWG AP Tune, Please Help

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2010 subie WRX hatch :D Words can hardly come close to the excitement I feel right now!!!! bought it on Friday. 750 Miles on it in 3 days.

So before i even picked up the beast i bought and next day air’d the cobb AP tuner and their SF intake.(also bought the 5SP MT short shift but that does not pertain to the issue)

As far as i am aware other than the exhaust(just the muffler) everything is stock. So I take it out on the fist day and let her buck...OMG amazing!>:D

The next day i grab the AP and throw the intake in, tune(even though i made sure it had 94OCT fuel) I decided to put the 91+ SF STD WG tune on. And this is where my problem lies.

I live in the country so I leave my town and stop at a turn out to run the log and verify that everything seems sound. It does, so I throw it in first and let the girl go. It was definitely faster. but at around 5000Rpm in 4th I threw a CEL. Wastegate solenoid A (sorry forgot the actual P****).:o

Obviously i slowed down, pulled over, checked the code, cleared it, re-flashed and drove carefully home(this is my first turbo'ed car). In the AM i spoke with a rep at a local pro-tune dealer. I asked about EBCS's and boost creep, as far as i can tell and from what he told me the car is boosting to the right pressure(18.8PSI max) and around 4500-5000 RPM in 3rd the boost consistently tapers over a short band.

So being a little more than new to cars i grabbed the Low Wastegate tune, put it on. Slam throws the same code at roughly the same time... Hmmm, I take the severe low wastegate tune and I haven’t had an issue since. i cannot get the wastegate to perform.:crying:

What i want to know is... Has anyone had these issues with theirs? What do you folks feel the best an fastest plan to solve the problem is? What are the benefits and issues of a Pro-tune with a new EBCS? Does anyone have any other options for the overboost happening?

Sorry for the long winded post, Let me know if i am duplicating another, and thank you all for your suggestions/help.

[IMG]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/members/g0atlif3-albums-2010-wrx-picture1618-suby.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,
G0AT

RickyTurbo11 02-27-2014 08:38 PM

Welcome to my daily frustration. First off, get a EBCS and a protune. I like cobb and love the functions of the AP but the OTS maps are not unique to your car (cookie cutter). I had the stage 2 + SF 93 cobb tune and keep getting the same result. I talked to cobb, switched to the LWG, severe LWG and still have problems here and there but not as often. Finally saved up for a protune. This made a huge difference. Much better HP and TQ, better power curve...really everything. I brought the grimmspeed EBCS to be installed before the tune, he said I didn't need it so I returned it. I wish I didn't because on cold days going "highway" speeds in high gears I can still get it...but those are pretty stressful conditions. Could the EBCS solve this? Maybe an EWG? I'm not sure, but what I do know is you should get a protune.

G0ATLIF3 02-27-2014 09:30 PM

[quote=RickyTurbo11;437930]Welcome to my daily frustration. First off, get a EBCS and a protune. I like cobb and love the functions of the AP but the OTS maps are not unique to your car (cookie cutter). I had the stage 2 + SF 93 cobb tune and keep getting the same result. I talked to cobb, switched to the LWG, severe LWG and still have problems here and there but not as often. Finally saved up for a protune. This made a huge difference. Much better HP and TQ, better power curve...really everything. I brought the grimmspeed EBCS to be installed before the tune, he said I didn't need it so I returned it. I wish I didn't because on cold days going "highway" speeds in high gears I can still get it...but those are pretty stressful conditions. Could the EBCS solve this? Maybe an EWG? I'm not sure, but what I do know is you should get a protune.[/quote]

Thanks Ricky,

I was speaking with a rep today and he mentioned that the tune was $500 and the ECBS was $130. Pretty cheap to save a whole whack of headache.

I totally agree about the cookie cutter flash, Its hard to make a MAP versatile enough to improve on every car but still work in different conditions. I am 2200' above sea level, But someone on the coast will have the same "Cut." + In the prairies you can see a cold snap of -30ºF on any given day of winter. :O

I am looking at dropping a Cobb DP and an Apexi RS EVO in to it, Then i will head down to Vex(any one in southern AB used them?) in town and get some sweet nothing spoken in her ear:x
They are a Gold Authorized tuner according to COBB, I assume that is good enough?!

thanks for your advice, Cheers.