Subaru WRX Forum banner

Opensource Read Up..

37K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay I hope that a mod will make this a sticky so that the information is right at hand for the people wanting to know where to find this software. I have also updated the links for the tuning software.

First off you will need to register at these sites to download the software need to reflash your ECU. Here is a list of the websites and what you will find there:

Main Page - OpenECU ---Here you will find the ECUFlash program to reflash your ECU

tactrix ----Here you will find the cable and flash block(if needed) for reflashing.

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading and Reflashing ECUs Using ECUFlash ---Here you will find the walk through to guide you through the reflash process.

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider ---If you are feeling froggy enough to attempt to tune your maps yourself the goto this website for the Engiunity(which is now romraider) software.

Open Source ECU ROMS ---Here you will find the free stage maps, plus a XTP maps that you have to pay for.

Now this isn't a complete guide to this nor is this a complete list of the opensource software that is available, you have options this is just what I have used and if anyone would like to add to this list please PM me or add it in another post. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will reply as soon as I can. Thanks again for reading this and I hope this helps everyone out.
CAUTION:
Okay just to add this in here after reading a few post below(thanks dumdum and Lil Shoaf)Please remember to use caution when using these programs and what ever you do please ask all the question you must before tuning, it is easy to use yet also easy to nuke a motor all in one foul swoop. There are people on here, myself included, that are here to help you along as best we can. If you feel that you are not up to doing this type of reflash/tuning then please find another method until you feel comfortable with using this software. As another option if someone lives close by you that has experience with using this software ask them to show you how and teach you from there experiences. The best way is hands on. Okay enough blabaling for now.

See less See more
#10 ·
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I cleaned this up to get it back on topic.. The threads that I deleted for those who didn't see them were simply debates about using this or any other self tuning software..

#17 ·
Well both have there good points and bad. I went with it for the simple fact that I can tune my own car and not have to worry about forking over $300-400 every time I change something out. Cobb AP is a wonderful tool and not as technical as the opensource stuff, but again it all depends on what you are going for with your car and how much you want to do on your own.

#18 ·
so when ppl say that u should trust your laptop, does that mean that it has to be runnin for some reason while the car is on? i wouldnt think so but y wouldnt i trust my laptop, b/c i have vista and im not sure what to trust yet... what are other ppl's OS's that already have this?

#25 ·
Guys,

i want to hit the speed limiter of my WRX, Model 2010. It is not necessary a connector?
Just buy the Tactrix Openport 2.0 and plug it on OBD2 connect to my note by a USB, Save the original map on a safety place. And use the romrider to hit the speed limit.
Its all ok???
Actually i am satisfied with the stock program, in future i must sit down study and see what i really want from the PoisonGod Machine :p.

Thanks for the attention

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do the tactrix or cobb tuners allow you to change shift points in a wrx with an auto trans ?
I've been looking at all of the screen shots and see no reference to any transmission shift point adjustments. I have HP Tuners for GM vehicles which has very detailed transmission adjustments for perfomance and standard tunes. This info would be a major selling point
for me, because I hate the way my wifes wrx shifts gears, hunting up and down, sometimes not downshifting soon enough, unless you really lean into the pedal. The car is all untouched stock, and has done this since brand new. The dealer said they all drive like that, and we should consider a stick. I'd love a manual trans in that car but wife wife hates a stick in heavy traffic. Any input about the trans tuning would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: This poster has an 08 WRX Auto

#27 · (Edited)
Obviously any 02-08 WRX AUTO has fixed ratios. I don't think the setpoints are adjustable on the 2015. It's a CVT so I guess it's theoretically possible.

The 2015 WRX auto has a very impressive transmission. It has paddle shifters so if you want more RPM you can just click. There are also 8 gears in the gated mode so it's not like you're ever between. I don't think if you owned a 2015 WRX CVT that you'd have any issues with this.

Your stand 3-6 speed auto is fairly slow shifting and uses a torque converter. Because of this the computer doesn't like to downshift because it'll spend more time out of gear than it takes to raise the RPM's by accelerating some. There's usually a "flat out" point on the gas pedal where it will switch and just go into whatever gear gives the most torque at a given speed and people tend to get annoyed at the transition point which seems to be what you're talking about. The 2015 WRX CVT doesn't have transition points like that. It "shifts" faster than you can perceive (faster than an LFA since it's just changing CVT ratios, not really shifting).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.