Subaru WRX Forum banner

OPENSOURCE HOW TO: Flash your ecu useing opensource software

116K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  titter 
#1 · (Edited)
FIRST OF ALL READ PSINUSE'S STICKY to make sure that opensource is what you want and know the issues of doing it wrong
also read these
Rom Raider FAQ - RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Rom Raider FAQ
Tuning FAQ - RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Tuning FAQ
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU
How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works - COBB Forums

needed equipment/ tools:
laptop (with full charge)
tactrix cable (for your make and model)
Ecuflash software (Open Source ECU ROMS)
Enginuity software(RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider)
[before doing any of the following steps turn your key forward but not on make sure your battery is charged ( if you have a turbo timer shut it OFF)

step 1: connect your tactrix cable to your laptops usb port
step 2: connect your tactrix cable to your diagnostic port
step 3: connect green wires this puts your car in diagnostic mode( you will hear your fans cycle) they are under the dash closest to the drivers door
step 4: open ecuflash
step 5: read your ecu's stock map and save it to a SD card,flash drive, or to your pc
step 6: open your desired map
step 7: test write to ecu to make sure of connectivity or errors
step 8: then if everything is ok write(flash) the desired map to your cars ecu
step 9: read your ecu again and compare your map to the map you flashed(you can use enginuity for this step if desired)
step 10: disconnect the green wires
step 11: start your car and take it for a ride to make sure it runs properly( no sputtering or knock) obvious signs it is not running correctly
step 12: log your car using enginuity
LOG THE FOLLOWING

Air/Fuel Correction #1 (%)
AF Learning #1 (Current)* (%)
Coolant Temperature (F)
Engine Load* (g/rev)
Engine Speed (rpm)
Feedback Knock Correction* (degrees)
Fine Learning Knock Correction* (degrees)
IAM* (multiplier)
Ignition Timing (degrees)
Injector Duty Cycle (%)
Intake Air Temperature (F)
Manifold Rel. Pressure (Corrected) (psi)
Mass Air Flow (g/s)
Throttle Opening Angle (%)
Vehicle Speed (mph)

ENJOY THE NEW POWER AND USE IT SAFELY !Thumbs Up

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
I just purchased my cable a couple of days ago and have been reading as much as i can but i have a question, when you speak of the Flash Block do you mean the white connector that is also disconected under the dash or the kick panel? If so you use the other clip that is comming with the tactix cable, right? or do i not need it for the 04 rex ### that would be cool...

Kudos

#37 ·
Maybe this stuff could be added to the thread start(1st post).This is a link of info that NEEDS to be fulley read before you start flashing/logging your car.One because it will answer ALOT of questions and two because it will save you from alot of heartache and a broken car or dead ecu....
http://www.enginuity.org/Documentation/EnginuityFAQ
http://www.enginuity.org/Documentation/TuningFAQ
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ECU
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32552

#39 ·
Nice write up. Wish I would have read it before I flashed my Stage 4 limp map in. Had to have some way to get the car to Indiana safely, wasn't about to put my baby on a trailer.

My Tactrix wouldn't connect for anything, then I found the problem. Wasn't hitting ok fast enough. Figured out I could hit ok, THEN put the car in the ON position. Yeah, my car's a freak.

#47 ·
Sorry to revive this, but I ran into a hurdle when attempting to read my ECU in my 2006 WRX. There are green connectors on both the driver's and passenger sides of the car. The driver's side is a larger connector and doesn't require taking any plastic fasteners out, while the passenger side usually needs you to remove a couple fasteners to get to the connectors.

I was trying to get ECUflash to read my ECU but I kept wondering why my WRX didn't seem to be going into "test" mode. Then I found this site talking about driver's side so figured I'd take a look under there and sure enough found the 2nd larger green connection. The iwsti.com site talks about 2006 STI and connecting the passenger side but not the driver's side, so I posted there on a thread that was dead since 2009. This thread is even deader....sorry for that, but I hope to help some other newbie that just bought a 2005-2007 WRX and wants to mod it.

#50 ·
08+ WRX/STI do not use open source because of the complex 32-bit CAN BUS system.

opensource tuning is mostly for 2007 and earlier. but im sure anything is possible if you try hard enough. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.