Subaru WRX Forum banner

OPENSOURCE HOW TO: Flash your ecu useing opensource software

116K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  titter 
#1 · (Edited)
FIRST OF ALL READ PSINUSE'S STICKY to make sure that opensource is what you want and know the issues of doing it wrong
also read these
Rom Raider FAQ - RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Rom Raider FAQ
Tuning FAQ - RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Tuning FAQ
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU
How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works - COBB Forums

needed equipment/ tools:
laptop (with full charge)
tactrix cable (for your make and model)
Ecuflash software (Open Source ECU ROMS)
Enginuity software(RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider)
[before doing any of the following steps turn your key forward but not on make sure your battery is charged ( if you have a turbo timer shut it OFF)

step 1: connect your tactrix cable to your laptops usb port
step 2: connect your tactrix cable to your diagnostic port
step 3: connect green wires this puts your car in diagnostic mode( you will hear your fans cycle) they are under the dash closest to the drivers door
step 4: open ecuflash
step 5: read your ecu's stock map and save it to a SD card,flash drive, or to your pc
step 6: open your desired map
step 7: test write to ecu to make sure of connectivity or errors
step 8: then if everything is ok write(flash) the desired map to your cars ecu
step 9: read your ecu again and compare your map to the map you flashed(you can use enginuity for this step if desired)
step 10: disconnect the green wires
step 11: start your car and take it for a ride to make sure it runs properly( no sputtering or knock) obvious signs it is not running correctly
step 12: log your car using enginuity
LOG THE FOLLOWING

Air/Fuel Correction #1 (%)
AF Learning #1 (Current)* (%)
Coolant Temperature (F)
Engine Load* (g/rev)
Engine Speed (rpm)
Feedback Knock Correction* (degrees)
Fine Learning Knock Correction* (degrees)
IAM* (multiplier)
Ignition Timing (degrees)
Injector Duty Cycle (%)
Intake Air Temperature (F)
Manifold Rel. Pressure (Corrected) (psi)
Mass Air Flow (g/s)
Throttle Opening Angle (%)
Vehicle Speed (mph)

ENJOY THE NEW POWER AND USE IT SAFELY !Thumbs Up

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Nice write up! Excellent directions and pics.

I've noticed some folks say it may take a few extra cranks to get your WRX started after flashing a new map but that was not the case for me. It started up normally. However, when I first got the Tactrix cable I saved my stock ROM to disk (no writing to the ECU) and it did take a few extra seconds for it to start up after that.

#15 ·
Okay, I CAN use some help with this flash. I have the stage 3 race map. ( I have also flashed stage 2 and stage 3 successfully in the recent past) I saved my xml file to the C:programFiles..... and when I open ecuflash, it has not registered that that file exists. I have restarted my computer, tried to open file before and after reading my ecu, stood on my head and on one foot. Help me out someone. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks,
Dean

#19 ·
No error. Okay, so you buy the map, download it from the site to your computer, it asks you where to put it, you save it, then save the xml file to the C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru\wrx, then go out to your car, hook everything up (tactrix, green connector (my06) and open ecuflash. When you open ecuflash, then read your ecu, then go to "Open ROM" , there is no ROM to open. So I go and try to manually open it and still , nada. I have had a similar problem every time I buy a map, but after all is said and done , it turns out okay and I really have no idea what has just happened (magic?)
So ,I ended up getting it to work last night around 11:30. I ended up uninstalling ecuflash, sending the zip file over to my other computer and deleting it from my laptop. I then downloaded ecuflash and resent the zip to my laptop, and instead of immediately saving it, I just opened it and extracted the entire zip to my documents and settings folder and then from there was able to save the xml to the program files folder. Flashed the ecu and BAM

BTW, my car is now very fast:D

#21 ·
same thing you did when you flashed stage 1. You read your ecu, then Open Rom and select which map/Rom you want to flash, in this case it will be stage 2, you select that Rom and then write to ecu. Or you can test write to ecu to make sure there are no fatal errors and then write to ecu.

#31 ·
i would just uninstall the old version and download the newest one the cable you will get will have the correct drivers in it when you plug it in it will say found new hardware and go through all that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.