open source tuning help??/ - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
open source tuning help??/

Columbus is far for me everytime i want to look at something that my car is doing ect. Ill still use Applied Tuning for all my tuning needs but i want to be able to log and look at stuff on my own, or email a log to Applied Tuning for whatever reason.

1. i know i need a tactrix cable, but moneys tight at the moment. anyone help for now to school me and set up my laptop?

2. i know i need software of some sort. tactrix has a CD i think that comes with the cable, but i tried downloading RomRaider and i dont think i did it right. there was a lot of promps that i didnt know what to click. plus is RomRaider the best?

3. for the time being i dont want a wideband O2 sensor. my tune is safe so im not worried about running rich or lean.

heres what i want. i want to be able to log runs and veiw stuff. i will not be touching anything!! just look for knock, target boost, make sure everything is cool. i want someone to tell me what the best software is and tell me how to set it up and use it.

last i see theres a patch out now for the 09 wrx launch control and flat foot shifting. a forum where i found out people are talking about dividing stuff and adding stuff, and it reads in xxx format when the values of the ECU read in ZZZ format. i dont know!! seems to confusing and i dont want to mess anything up! all i know is i want launch control and id like it set for 5000 or 5500 rpm. flat foot shifting kinda scares me even though they say its better for your tranny "IF" you do it right. i can buy the patch for $50 online but again no idea what im doing after.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
RomRaider is probably the most widely used logging software. There are a lot of things you need to download on top of just the program in order to get the latest definitions for the 09 wrx. \

RomRaider • View topic - Latest RomRaider LOGGER Definitions (v0.3.5b 10-02-09)

RomRaider • View topic - Latest RomRaider ECU Definitions (v 0.8.3.1b 10-07-09)

When you do want to get a wide band (makes the tune 100x better when you can dial in the fuel), check out the innovate lc-1 + db red gauge. You can run it without the gauge but then it will just be plugged in and only used when you plug it into your laptop. I believe romraider is only compatible with innovate and aem widebands. I run the innovate with the gauge and it's been worth every penny.

-Chris
#3 Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

see this is what im talking about. all i see is a post with a bunch of crap on it. you say i need the definitions, that means nothing to me. wheres the button to click to download them?

#4 Old 06-09-2010, 12:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
see this is what im talking about. all i see is a post with a bunch of crap on it. you say i need the definitions, that means nothing to me. wheres the button to click to download them?
If you click his links and scroll to the bottom the files are in the "attachments" on the linked post.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#5 Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

cool, pretty sure i got it all. i got the definitions, loggers and tactrix Ecuflash.

so, when i get the cable is there an order to do this stuff? like plug into the ECU with with car off. then open RomRaider on computer. then turn key to on position. then click logger. then click all the things i want to log. then i guess ill be able to view them? i cant see anything now without being plugged into the ECU but im assuming this is a safe run down?

thanks

#6 Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you don't really need a tactrix cable, vagcom cables work just as good and can be had for around 20 bucks, just download ecuflash for the drivers and use the romraider logger

and as for the order to do stuff plug the cable in to the OBDII port and the usb port, open your logger and then turn the car on

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Honestly the new ecu's are a million times easier to read... I know my tuner can turn his logger on while I'm driving. You do need to be plugged in though. Also, you don't even need your laptop to be visible as your rear window defrost button on the dash doubles as the button to start and stop logging. They should also start supporting logging to an sd card before long. My guy is talking with them on how to get it to work and they lady said she didn't know. Basically you can leave it plug on the obdII port and it will log to an sd card, which you can later load to your computer.

-Chris
#8 Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
the defroster button thing has been around since I first bought my rex in 03

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#9 Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

I know, just a neat feature.

-Chris
#10 Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
the defroster button thing has been around since I first bought my rex in 03
really? so i just plug in, turn on romraider logger and check off what i want to log, hit the defroster button, nail say 3rd gear and hit the button again to finish logging?

#11 Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes, or you can hit log on the computer.

-Chris