The Official datalog review thread - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
i should be taking bets lol, what do u guys think? (see other thread) and yes i do realize i have an insufficiant datalog... i heard a lot of talk with the bov but do u guys think this is the REAL problem?

Last edited by thekamikaze kid; 10-21-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
i should be taking bets lol, what do u guys think? i heard a lot of talk with the bov but do u guys think this is the REAL problem?
I think so and if not it is surely a contributing factor. I don't know why you haven't tried changing it yet!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #18 of 26 Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

ElJefe is an unknown
Drop in boost on Stage 2+ Protuned 2011

Recently I noticed a pretty decent lack of power upon WOT. I have a 2011 WRX with the following mods:
Cobb Intake with Box
Cobb DP catted
Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust
Process West TMIC
Go Fast Bits Respons BOV
Grimmspeed Up-pipe
Tial 44mm EWG plumbed back into DP
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed Adjustable Wastegate Bracket
Cobb Accessport V3
Stage 2+ Protune by PIA in Tacoma, WA (310whp, 349tq @ 20psi)

I have a before and after datalog. I'm seeing drops in PSI, WG duty and it's running lean under load.

Before:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

After:

Does any have any thoughts on what might be causing this? I've checked for boost leaks and none were found.

Last edited by ElJefe; 08-05-2015 at 03:17 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
@ElJefe - typically logs are recorded at 100% throttle in 3rd or 4th gear ( depending on if you have a 5MT of 6MT ) and from 2500-6500 RPM.

If you can grab us that snapshot we can help you figure out whats off. Otherwise we dont have quite enough information to really be of assistance. Without a complete log I would start with a boost leak test. You have lots of connections from the turbo into the throttle body that are aftermarket, tighten those down and clean your MAF and see how that works.

hope that helps

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #20 of 26 Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

ElJefe is an unknown
@articscythe - below is a new data log I did in 3rd gear from 2300-6300RPM. I'm showing FBK and FKL readings on this pull, not sure if that's normal but I'm a little concerned about that.

From what I can see all connections boost related are secure and tight but I will go over all of them again and double check. I'll try cleaning the MAF too and see if that helps.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Im not a professional tuner but from many a conversation with Paul @yimisport and Eric at Torqued performance some FKL and FBK are to be expected as the vehicle is moving. The sensors are very sensitive and any noise outside the norm will be picked up. The thing to look out for is when FBK of FKL don't immediately taper back to 0 or if they cause changes in other columns and come back. When the ECU sees those numbers as a problem it will adjust your dynamic advance multiplier to compensate. Your DAM appears to still be 1 so it doesn't look like your ecu is holding you back from the FBK or FKL.

Id really like to see your waste gate duty cycle and your injector duty cycle to see if maybe your waste gate is stuck partially open, or you might have an injector thats not clogged or malfunctioning. ( im not thinking clogged injector because your AFR seems normal, granted its not a wideband but the ECU seems happy with the AFR its receiving )

The other things to look for before you go take another log is boost leaks. Check all the hoses and fittings on the high pressure side of the turbo sometimes the throttle body to intecooler piping will slide off or crack and cause all kinds of headaches. The process west intercooler has a turbo flange that connects to a silicone pipe right? double check that connection and be sure all your clamps are tight. If they are check that all your vacuum lines are in their proper place as well. You can use soapy water to test for vacuum leaks or take it toa shop to have it smoke tested.

Absolute worst case you might have a malfunctioning wastage actuator, stuck arm or fnky boost controller ( honestly an EBCS should be on your mods list after stage 2 anyways )

hope that helps

- Jason
post #22 of 26 Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

ElJefe is an unknown
Thanks for the advice and clarification on FBK and FLK! The data log does show the wastegate duty, it's the very last column. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.

Someone on Nasioc was concerned that the overboost was going so high. On the latest data log it hit 18, the previous logs were in the 20's. Is that something to be concerned about.

I forgot to put it on my mod list but I do have the Grimmspeed EBCS. I also have their adjustable wastegate bracket to keep the factory wastegate closed, my tuner recommended this.

I'll double check all the high pressure tubes and vacuum lines again tonight.

Last edited by ElJefe; 08-05-2015 at 03:16 PM.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Im sorry my tablet had that cut off,

Looking at your log Im not seeing boost pressures in the 18PSI range. Max I see on your log is 12.08 @7.167 looking at just that row your wastegate is set to 53% I would expect the wastegate up much higher than that to hold the gate closed and build more boost. Im currently running the stock controller but my wastegate duty cycle on a Torqued Performance Stage 2 is up around 85% tapering down to 75% at 6500RPM. If you have other logs that show you hitting higher boost we can look at those but "datalog5" looks like pretty bad under boost.

The tune would be different for aftermarket EBCS and I dont know off the top of my head what values to look for with the grim speed unit in particular. Hopefully one of the guys can chime in with the expected values.

- Jason
post #24 of 26 Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

ElJefe is an unknown
On the "before" log that I posted originally I was hitting 16.48 at WOT and wastegate duty was still low around 52%. That's the only log I have from after the tune before this started happening.

I've been running this tune for 4 months with no weird problems like this. I had a couple times where the IC hose slipped off the throttle body a little and one of the BOV vacuum hoses kept popping off the intake manifold nipple. When those happened the boost leak was really noticeable and I couldn't seem to produce any boost, the car would stutter over 2750RPM and 40% throttle and the turbo sounded way off. I've since gotten those connections to stay on nice and tight. What's going on now doesn't feel the same at all since I'm still able to produce about half my target boost and I still haven't been able to find any boost leaks. I tried the soapy water method last night on all positive pressure connections and still nothing.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-21-2015, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

mccaguej is an unknown
Can I have someone take a look at this? Just want to make sure things are going alright before I decide to do anything more to the car right now.

2014 WRX, cobb catted DP, Invidia catback, Grimmspeed CAI. Using Cobb OTS 'stage 2' + SF tune. 93 octane. Thanks guys.

post #26 of 26 Old 08-23-2015, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

mccaguej is an unknown
I am thinking the timing looks a little inconsistent where I am getting the fine knock learning, but Im not too sure what to do about it or if that is the real cause.

Just another set of eyes on this to tell me if its fine or I should be worried... thanks!