NO Afterfire??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnack is an unknown
NO Afterfire???

OK, Here's my problem- Everything I've read say's I should get backfire/afterfire happening with my setup and still I NEVER have this happen. Why??? Mods: cattless tbe, cattless up, cobb sf intake, gfb/ bov- set to full atmos., Cobb AP ots/ stage 2- 93oct.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Wow...

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #3 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I forgot to mention its a 02 wrx and I have the GFB hybrid bov.(set to full atmos.) I also have never had any of the negative problems from running a bov. like- running rich, poor idle, boost leak, lag between shifts ect. ect.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Did you do all the mods yourself or did you buy the car this way?

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #5 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Why would you want afterfire.... its not like it makes the car faster like an afterburning jet engine...

-Chris
post #6 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Why would you want a bov whoosh sound or a horn that is louder than a fighter jet? People like all sorts of ridiculous things.

The basic answer to your question is that you don't have afterfire because you don't have unburnt fuel in your exhaust. You are correct that your awful setup is likely to cause a rich condition and thus afterfire. Lucky/Unlucky/Whatver for you it doesn't seem to be doing so.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #7 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Why is his setup awful? Besides the bov I see nothing wrong with it.

-Chris
post #8 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I bought the bov before I learned the stock one is best but that being said... I still have NO problems. Yes I did all the mods myself and no I'm not tryin to purposely shoot flames. The purpose of this is just that from what Ive read people made it sound like if you run open exhaust and bov you will have pops and crackles and arfterfire. So I'm curious as to why I SEEM to be the only one not having this happen???
post #9 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the intake+ots stage II. Yes, they say the cobb intake is ok to use in the map notes, but I bet it causes it to lean out just enough to stop the afterfires.

-Chris
post #10 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Why is his setup awful? Besides the bov I see nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, I should have been more specific, I was just talking about the BOV setup. I don't understand why people would add parts to their car that degrade performance.

The reason I asked if you did all the work yourself is because you said everything is running normal and if you had bought the car with all the mods already on it you wouldn't really know what normal is.

If your car is running well you should be happy

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #11 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Is it possible I'm not runnin rich between shifts? It's my understanding if you vent full atmos this will cause incorrect maf reading and run rich when u vent. Is this true? just trying to find out if my bov is causing it to run rich or not between shifts. I'm trying to decide if I should put the stock one on or not? after wasting $300 on bov kinda makes me want to use it, but not if I'm losing performance
post #12 of 17 Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

You're not losing performance, just driveability in some cases. Wide open it doesn't matter, but you could stumble between shifts. They can also mess with idle. Don't be worried that your car is slower because of it, its not. If you stumble in between shifts then yeah you may be slower but you get the point, no hp losses.

-Chris
post #13 of 17 Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for your help!
post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

GFBPete is an unknown
Hi everyone,
May I be so bold to suggest that the GFB Hybrid is doing exactly what it is designed to do - i.e. venting to atmosphere and not causing any problems

To explain further - whether or not you get backfire as a result of using an atmosphere-venting BOV is related directly to HOW MUCH air is vented to atmosphere.

The more air a valve vents to atmosphere, the greater the effect on the AFR (note however that the only time the AFR is affected is when the valve is actually venting, which is generally only for the period of a gearshift). Therefore if the valve is very large or incorrectly adjusted, it will vent too much air and result in a richer mixture, increasing the likelihood of backfiring.

A GFB valve is designed in such a way that even at full atmosphere venting, it still isn't venting so much air that backfiring results. In fact, it is this very nature that also helps improve throttle response and reduce lag over the factory valve. The key to minimum lag during gearshifts is setting up the valve so it doesn’t empty the intercooler of all pressure, only enough to prevent compressor surge. This way, there is still a little left in the intercooler for when the throttle is re-opened. Here are some articles that show the results of real-world testing on this method:

Learn stuff - Turbo lag, how to beat it. Part I - RaceDotCom.com with SuspensionParts.info

Learn stuff - Turbo lag, how to beat it. Part II - RaceDotCom.com with SuspensionParts.info

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
GFB Pete
post #15 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
GFBPete, thank you VERY much for posting! I enjoyed reading that information.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"