New to the Tuning game - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

KIKIJOHART is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to KIKIJOHART
Smile New to the Tuning game

Im sure everyone is sick of this kind of question, but im used to being able to send my PCM away to be tuned, and get it back and its perfect. I dont know how WRX stuff works since i just got one. From what i understand there seems to be a debate between AP and opensource tuning, i know opensource sounds cheaper, but is AP a better route for a quality tune?

Thanks
Killian

O and hi to everyone since im a complete newbie to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Ecutek actually still does the "send us your ECU and we'll send it back with a map" approach. Cobb just sells you a portable re-flasher but designed it to bind to one ECU only. Reflashing yourself is not complicated. It hooks up to the ODB-II port. Open source works similarly except you use a laptop to hook up as your reflasher (also through the ODB-II port).

The best map for your car is one custom made FOR your car. Neither really offer that but what they do offer is more aggressive base maps Cobb's strength is it's maps which are thoroughly tested and widely used. In the open source world, if you want a base map you have to trust what you are borrowing from somebody else.

Cobb's AP also has a lot of other features besides reflashing and it of course works on it's own rather than requiring a computer. You do get a fancy toy for all those extra dollars!

Nobody can say one is better than the other, they're both good choices and good values.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Mosc is exactly right. It comes down to your budget, your trust in a tuner, what your tuner prefers, and what you plan on doing with/to your car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

KIKIJOHART is an unknown
i think if i can find a shop just a custom tune would be fine, otherwise the dom tunes sound sweet
#5 Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There are several members who have had a tune by Dom, plus a guy on here that worked with him also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

KIKIJOHART is an unknown
I guess what i really want to know is, is the dom tune aquality tune?? What do i need for it again?
#7 Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKIJOHART View Post
I guess what i really want to know is, is the dom tune aquality tune?? What do i need for it again?
yes it's a quality tune. He's a very reputable tuner in the subaru community. He's been tuning cars over the internet for a while now and he's doing a great job with mine. You need to be able to read/write to your ecu and have the ability to log. I use opensource so it's all there. +1 million for Dom.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#8 Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Dominic is one of the hardest working people I know, he's a electrical engineer for the navy, he dose engine builds and tunes every day. very busy man. I would recommend him to anyone.

BTW his work ethic is nothing like his sister Pixie (if any of you saw the show LA ink last night, youll know what i'm talking about)

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#9 Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM

Man I didnt know Dom was into all that stuff, what an incredible guy. Hey Mike, sorry to bother but could you PM what happened on LA Ink, I miss watching since being out here in the desert, thanks man.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubieZen07 is an unknown
ya i would go with dom....in fact he is working with me right now on bettering a tune that i got from opensource, just to make my mods work easier with the car!