Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   new to tuning (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/new-tuning-31317/)

mazzanic 09-11-2011 06:25 PM

new to tuning

just bought an 09 wrx and looking to eventually down the road to tune the engine.. which company is the best for an ecu flash? i heard cobb does wonders for the wrx but is there any other setups that work better? im a newbie to this whole car tuning stuff i come from driving an impala and crotch rocket to this monster turbo.. so i just wanna do a lotta researching before i do any type of mods..

pzr2874 09-12-2011 05:46 AM

Any that work better?

Either a COBB AP or an Opensource tune is your best bet.

What are your long term goals for the car? There are tons of tuners up in your area, using both of the tuning solutions above.

tommelleo22 09-13-2011 08:32 PM

opensource ftw

basco 09-13-2011 09:33 PM

AP FTL...you spend an extra 500ish for absolutely nothing you cant do with a 15 dollar cable and laptop

newtothegame 09-14-2011 08:13 AM

Opinions are just like a$$holes...everyone has one. Read and research, see what fits your budget and which you and a tuner like more, go that route.

pzr2874 09-14-2011 08:32 AM

^^ Don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel ROFL

BoostinChick 09-14-2011 09:30 AM

There is no "what company is best" they all do similar jobs, flash/monitor your ECU. The main difference is the type of tune and ease of functionality they give.

I went with Tactrix/open source for 3-main reasons:
1.) I am not a fan of off the shelf tunes that thousands of others may have
2.) I prefer to look at a netbook screen rather than a tiny lcd screen
3.) $$$

I would say open source may be a little advanced if you are not sure what you are looking at, but there are many "e-tuners" around the country that are good at helping n00bs out.

READ READ READ
[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795608[/url]

mazzanic 10-02-2011 01:45 AM

[quote=newtothegame;267809]Opinions are just like a$$holes...everyone has one. Read and research, see what fits your budget and which you and a tuner like more, go that route.[/quote]

$ is not the problem i want to eventually gradually upgrade everything and long term upgrade turbo.. but i know after i do the turbo upgrade i will need an OS map.. so i am thinkin is it worth paying 500 now for an AP or OS meanwhile im just gonna continue remapping.. my bro got his evo done by chad block and i am thinking about having him do mine.

dumdum 10-02-2011 09:19 AM

You seem confused. Licensed "Protuners" can make custom maps for your car that can be loaded into the Accessport using Cobb's Protuner software. This info is right on Cobb's site. So either solution can have custom maps or OTS base maps to use. Either solution has tuners that do remote tuning. Either can remap the ECU multiple times.......

turmic 10-02-2011 07:59 PM

Chad can do either a AP pro map or OS protune. Ask me how I know... ;)

mazzanic 10-05-2011 10:27 AM

[quote=turmic;268805]Chad can do either a AP pro map or OS protune. Ask me how I know... ;)[/quote]

I kno i was just there he does both but he still throws down a nice protune

mazzanic 10-05-2011 10:29 AM

[quote=dumdum;268788]You seem confused. Licensed "Protuners" can make custom maps for your car that can be loaded into the Accessport using Cobb's Protuner software. This info is right on Cobb's site. So either solution can have custom maps or OTS base maps to use. Either solution has tuners that do remote tuning. Either can remap the ECU multiple times.......[/quote]

I understand but i was wondering how crappythe off the shelf maps are compared to like a pro tune because i knowcobb runs conservative

psinuse 10-05-2011 02:55 PM

Cobb's maps run that way to handle all cars in every environment. Keep in mind that they are in business to keep cars running, if you have a bunch of cars blow up, then people aren't going to buy your product, but make there car faster and they are happy. A protune will make a BIG difference in power on your car, because it is custom tailored to your car's specific needs, most custom tunes are.

turmic 10-05-2011 10:00 PM

When were you there? I was there on Tuesday and my subaru was being worked on Monday. Just got it back from CBRD today.

mazzanic 10-05-2011 10:26 PM

[quote=turmic;268966]When were you there? I was there on Tuesday and my subaru was being worked on Monday. Just got it back from CBRD today.[/quote]

Last wednesday. My bro did his evo xse. I got youtube videos of it. Youtube.com/nicmazza