new subie owner here, need a little help - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattysticks is an unknown
new subie owner here, need a little help

i just bought my 2011 wrx this week and i am absolutely in love with it. its my first actual car(ive always owned trucks) and im happy i made the switch. that being said i dont know very much at all about these cars. my car has a k&n intake on it and a perrin 3 inch downpipe and i believe full 3 inch back single outlet exhaust. thats all i know about it and thats the problem, im assuming it has a stage 2 tune in it because of the downpipe install but i know that doesnt exactly have to be the case. no boost gauge so i have no idea what the output is but i did drive a bone stock wrx and mine feels quite a bit faster.
i live in central louisiana(stationed at ft. polk) and i cant seem to find any decent shops to go to around here to get it looked at and find out what kind of tune setup is on it. so if anyone has any reccomendations on what to do or if anyone is near me and would be willing to help out that would be awesome. i wouldnt mind driving a bit on the weekends either to meet up with someone who might have an ap just to hoop it up and see what kind of map is on this car.
in the mean time im trying to keep it out of boost but thats very hard considering just how much fun this car is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You can do it yourself with a tactrix 2.0 cable ($180ish) and a little research on the programs you need to run on your laptop (if you have one, if not, borrowing one for a day will work)

This is a good place to start: OPENSOURCE HOW TO: Flash your ecu useing opensource software

Its pretty simple. It is useful because you learn how to record data from various sensors on your car, good if something goes wrong with your car and you don't know where to start. You can also read check engine light codes with the software.

If not, most military bases have a car scene around them, at least fort bliss did, i imagine a lot of them do aswell. There were subaru's everywhere in el paso. You could try reaching out to people around you.

I sincerely hope for your car's sake that it is tuned, running these cars with intakes and downpipes untuned can be very dangerous for the engine.

Best of luck and welcome to the boards and subaru community. There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards.

Last edited by Brockton; 02-06-2014 at 04:56 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Lets see a pic of the engine bay and we can tell a little more about if anything else has been done to it. Some pics of the outside Will get so.e of the 3rd gen guys on here happy as well.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #4 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I'm really hoping it has been tuned also because I know it will be very bad for the engine if not. Wouldn't it be throwing an engine light if it was in tuned? And I will get some pictures as soon as I can it's about to start raining or snowing here and it's miserable outside. I will definitely look into the tactrix cable in a week or two once I get my tax returns back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1391692412.857329.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  72.3 KB

This is the only one I have for now from the other day when I brought it home finally

post #6 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

post #7 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1391698970.186723.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  63.5 KB
I don't know if there's any specific pictures you want other that that

post #8 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
For safety sake and yours. Follow what Brockton has mentioned above. There is another way of doing it. Cobb Accessport, rather expensive vs. cable. Both have pros and cons. Just don't beat on it till you can positively tell whats in the car.

Just a few questions:

Dealer purchase (Subaru), Car lot non dealer or Third party?

If third party. did it come with any extra parts?

Just trying to narrow things down. Again, follow what Brockton has mentioned and you'll be sure to find out what exactly is loaded into that car.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
post #9 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
For OP, the reason I didn't mention the Cobb AP, was because its 3 times more expensive than the cable, and you would have to take the tune off the car, regardless of what tune is on it, and replace it with a cobb tune, or buy a open source tune for the AP, load it on the AP, and load that on instead. A tune has to be flashed from the AP to the car before you can use the AP's features.

That is not a bad route, Cobb AP's are pricey, but they are very useful and much more convenient than lugging around a laptop, and with a stage 2 tune from cobb or places like torqued performance ($80 for their tune if I remember correctly) via the AP you won't have to wonder, you will know what the tune is.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I have looked into the Cobb ap route and I would like to do that in the future but I don't have those kinds of funds at the moment so I will try to go the cable route even if it is a little more work, I learn soo much by reading on these forums I don't know what I'd do without them.
And I bought the car from a dealer, I was told it belonged to a mechanic that recently left there to work for another shop in the next town and he traded it because he wanted a truck. The car is very clean and everything I can see that has been done seems to be done by someone who had at least half a brain( I've got a lot of mechanical experience, just not with tuner cars) so I'm hoping that it has been tuned properly but until then I will just keep my foot out of the pedal.
Side note could If I got a boost gauge that should give me a good indication if the car has been tuned right? I don't know how much boost they push stock but from what I've read I could be in the 17-20 psi range and if that's the case then it would have to have been tuned correct?

post #11 of 16 Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yes, I believe it is around 14psi stock, with stage 2 it should be around 16-19psi, depends on the tune.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You can't just hook an AP and see what's going on with the car. In order for an AP to work, that specific unit has to be married to the car, which undoes anything on the ECU. Unless you have a boost gauge and are willing to risk damage, then the only way is to find someone with a Tactrix cable.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
The intake you have also would need a protune/custom tune, not an OTS map from the AP.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #14 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I also see a perrin turbo inlet and no heat shield on the turbo. Your best bet would probably be a open source tune. I would try to track down the previous owner to get all the history I can on it.
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #15 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well the only problem with tracking down the old owner is that I did buy it from a dealer, I'm pretty sure that the Perrin dp is catless so it would definitely have to have been tuned then since there hasn't been a cel at all yet and I've put about 150 miles on it this week since I got it. I'm still going to try and get a tactrix cable though and figure out how to get the logs into my lap top I'm sure it can't be too hard to do