New STI owner looking for some feedback from the vets. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WhiteSTI is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteSTI
New STI owner looking for some feedback from the vets.

Just purchased my first Subaru! I AM LOVING IT! 2016 STI

I want to add some extra HP/TRQ. I want it to really get up and go, but also be a half decent every day driver.

Iv'e landed on the SUBARU STAGE 3 + FF POWER PACKAGE. (maybe add EWG because I like the sound lol)
COBB Tuning - Subaru Stage 3 + FF Power Package STI 2015-2016

Has anyone had any experience with this or anything similar?

-What might my MPG look like.
-Will my engine life be substantially reduced?
-Should I not order the V3/AP and just have a pro tune instead?
-Roughly, what will my HP/TRQ jump up to?
-Might I need a new clutch?
-At what point is my warranty voided?
-Will I still be able to use my STI, Smart Mode for decent MPG?
-PROs/CONs

All feedback is welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 AM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Welcome! Do you have easy access to E85 gas? Kind of need to know that. If you do, what you're looking at is what you want to do. If you don't, it's a little overkill and a simpler "stage 2" type setup would be just as good and cheaper.

1) E85 is generally cheaper than regular gas but you need to use more of it so MPG dives a bit but you should be paying less per gallon. Roughly a wash. The car will not consume more money per mile if you drive like a granny (maybe even slightly less) but if you put your foot down, which is why you want this stuff, you will burn through gas more quickly. Stock on my 15 STi is anywhere from 16-22 mpg depending on driving mix. My 04 STi with stage 3ish was more like 13-15 but if I cruised on the freeway at ~70 it would still get 24 on long trips. E85 consumption you burn about 20% more gas. E85 makes a lot more power.

2) power strains a lot of components but in general it's not a big difference. Most EJ motors die from oil related issues, not from power. My tuner would tell you the key is good oil. He recommends far thicker than factory 10w40 amsoil premium protection full synthetic. Other folks stress air/oil separators and other ways of keeping the oil in the engine. EJ's much later in life tend to have some seepage issues which if they get bad enough can dry things out as well. Fix there is to take it apart and redo the seals ($$$). The other limiting factor is the big flat cast pistons. I've heard many arguments that simply changing to forged pistons the EJ goes from about 300whp limit (220 is stock) to 400whp easy. The transmission in the STi is well overbuilt for stock power levels, as is most of the drivetrain. Suspension parts are stronger than most cars but will wear out eventually. The more aggressive it's driven, the faster they go.

3) These days most pro tuners want to use an AP. There are still some open source guys out there and years ago I would have recommended skipping the AP and going straight for a pro-tune. Matters on your goals. If you are happy with a Cobb stage package, go for that. Especially with the new flex fuel map, that's a lot of power. If you are changing turbos though, it's all about what your tuner wants and not what anybody else says.

4) Cobb puts out numbers, they're correct.

5) The stock STi clutch isn't bad. It's not my favorite. I preferred the ACT HD "stage 1+" clutch I had on my 04 STi. There's no reason to change the stock clutch unless you're putting on a monster turbo even then I'm not sure I'd bother. If it goes, put on something stronger. The ACT HD clutch can handle A LOT more power than stock so I'd go that way if you need it (which you don't right now).

6) Warranty question. Yay. 1) You bought a sports car and sports car warranty's get denied for abuse. Mods or no mods 2) Warranty's can't be voided they just don't cover damage caused by abuse or modification. If you swap the engine they're not going to cover the engine but they still have to cover the air conditioner. 3) what classifies as "engine modification" is really sketchy. An ECU reflash, which subaru does themselves, is plenty of justification if the dealer wants to be a dick. Other places don't care about tunes, intakes, and exhausts. Still, see first mentioned point. Read it like 3 times.

7) I'm not sure what cobb does to the "mode" selector with their maps but it's useless. It just changes the throttle position based on your foot. If you want to use less gas, press the lever down less. I just leave it in S.

What am I doing? I'm leaving it stock for a year or two while cobb gets it's Flex Fuel map together, I save some money, and any major mechanical gremlins have a chance to come out. I'm listening to my tuner about oil though.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

stemp661 is an unknown
Garage
Welcome brother! I own a 2016 wrx, The EJ257 is a hearty motor with lots of capability to add WHP. If possible wait till you get out of warranty and take some time to learn the car. The thing is already set up for the track out of the box so take it out and become very familiar with it. Then if and after you go through the warranty check out the power packages by COBB and go make a phone call to Crawford Motorsports. they will make sure you dont get a bad case of rod knock....

HEY, HEEEEY I AM WAIVING!!!!! WAIVE BACK!

post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

stemp661 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSTI View Post
Just purchased my first Subaru! I AM LOVING IT! 2016 STI

I want to add some extra HP/TRQ. I want it to really get up and go, but also be a half decent every day driver.

Iv'e landed on the SUBARU STAGE 3 + FF POWER PACKAGE. (maybe add EWG because I like the sound lol)
COBB Tuning - Subaru Stage 3 + FF Power Package STI 2015-2016

Has anyone had any experience with this or anything similar?

-PROs/CONs

All feedback is welcome!

ITS AN STI YOU DONT BUY THIS CAR TO CARE ABOUT MPG....
IF YOU RUN THE ENGINE HARD ENOUGH AND DEPENDING ON YOUR BUILD PATH YOU MAY RUN INTO ISSUE, THIS IS WITH ANY CAR THOUGH...
THE COBB AP IS EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND CLEAN UP THE CRAPPY TUNE THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY. GOOD CALL. A PROTUNE IS WHAT YOU WANT AFTER YOU START MODDING IT. A PROPER TUNE WILL GO A VERY LONG WAYS AND IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD!
NEVER TRUST VENDOR SITES PERSONALLY, ONLY TRUE WAY TO KNOW YOUR GAINS IS TO DO IT PROPER AND GO GET YOURSELF ON A DYNO.
DO YOU REALLY THINK YOUR GONNA DUMP THAT MUCH POWER IN IT THAT QUICK? IF SO LOOK AT MILD RACING CLUTCHES... ILL BET YOUR DRIVE SHAFT GOES BEFORE A CLUTCH DOES...
SUBARU IS A BIT FINICKY WITH THIS.. IF THEY ARE AWARE YOU MODDED YOUR CAR, YOUR DONE... THEY WILL FIX AND REPAIR ANYTHING AS LONG AS THE ROOT CAUSE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PARTS YOU INSTALLED ON IT. (I.E. YOU PUSHED 30PSI....BLEW SOMETHING... ETC...)
IF YOU WANT GOOD MPG PLEASE FOR GOD SAKES TAKE IT BACK AND GO BUY A PRIUS!
-PROs/CONs
DUDE ITS A SUBARU ENOUGH SAID.....WELCOME TO THE CLUB! DONT FORGET TO WAIVE, AND DONT BE AN ASSHAT ON THE ROAD...LEAVE THAT TO THE ASSHATS IN CIVICS AND MUSTANGS ;P

post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
God caps lock is annoying.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

stemp661 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
God caps lock is annoying.
Sorry ill cut it back

post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
the cobb ap alone is worth it for its monitoring systems. buying all those gauges will cost you way more than the price of an accessport.

is E85 easily accessable around you? if not i wouldnt get this package you linked. this package is $4500 and there is not even a turbo replacement. you can get full turbo kits for the same price range and with a proper tune will last a long time with proper maintenance.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

sh4d0w is an unknown
Hey man I am new to subaru but I have about 10k in mods in my mazda so here is my 2 cents. I went with a cobb stage package as well and regretted it. Here is why...

first of all the down pipe on the mazda I can't speak for the subbie is NOT a true 3 inch down pipe it tapers to 2.5 at the end.

second I maxed out the cobb and TIP intake very quickly and ended up needing to go bigger. (I should mention I went big turbo like just after I bought the stage 2 package lol)

If i were to do it over again I would not go with the staged power packages. Start with the ap and go from there. Do it once and do it right. Saving 50 bucks now might cost 100 later.

Just things to consider depending on your goals.

Hope this helps and I am also very jelly of your 2016 ;P

I should also add that the AP is amazing best thing ever. Dealing with a 97 ecu right now and I go to sleep at night praying that somehow one day I could have an access port in my subaru.