Subaru WRX Forum banner

New to site. Not new to Subaru! But, would appreciate some help/advice

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Fear-no-EVO 
#1 ·
I appreciate the add! I can not believe I have had my WRX for this long, before stumbling upon these pages... Posts and threads by members and administrators, that I have read, are well thought-out and respectful. And, I just wanted to say thank you for this awesome sharing of knowledge, and apparent brotherhood.

I'm embarrassed to even admit to the mistake I made after work tonight... SMH...

Recently, I changed headers. My local tuner, I used several years ago, seems to have disapeared... Most reparable options anywhere near me,(GR, MIchigan) are using Cobb. I bought a V3, not positively knowing if this would be used for my protune. However, the Accesstuner Race software sparked my interest in the possibility to fine tune a couple parameters; along w other features.

Here is why I am kicking myself: My previous tune, years earlier, had been done via Cobb. I had no idea this was the method he used, for my last tune. I dropped my car the night before it hit the dyno and just assumed it was opensourced, as he had done before. I thought the car had to be "married" to each specific Cobb, and i did not own one. Following Cobb's instructions, I plugged it in to familiarize myself. Everything seemed ok. Conservatively driving around, I thought I'd log some data to be sure it was "safe" to drive to the nearest Dyno. My AFR was a touch lean but still safe. Then, noticing the Valet map, I had to try it. The thought of someone else driving my car always freaks me out, as I'm sure it does many of you. I don't even like tossing my keys to the guy at the tire shop! Haha. Loading that is where something, somehow, went wrong. I IRREVERSABLY DELETED MY TUNE!!! Still don't know how?? Only thing I can think of would be hitting "OK" instead of "EXIT", during the install. I've tried uninstalling after reading that it will restore back to stock or the previous tune. Nothing worked. Obviously, she needs to strattle the dyno... That's where I would appreciate some advice.

Can anyone recommend a protuner, near GR, Michigan? I was very happy with my last tune, not even knowing it was a Cobb tune. Now having the V3, I would like to go to a very knowlegableable Accesstuner. What are the pros and cons, considering my setup(mods listed below); versus open, and other methods?

Are you able to share custom tuned Cobb maps(legally)? If so, can anyone that has similar modifications send one? I want something more accurate than an E-tune. Pricing seems steep and the data logging/sharing, troubleshooting headache. Again, I WILL DYNO TUNE. I just don't want to pay to have my car shipped to the closest shop,(50+ miles). That seems to be my only current option. Any advice would be great. Thank you, in advance!

05' WRX

Currently:

AEM CAI(21-474C)
TurboXS TMIC w/ post MAF recirculated BOV
ID1000's
Agency Power unequal length header
Cat-less UP w/proportionately cut EWG feed
Tail EWG(44mm?)via dump tube to atmosphere
Stock EBCS. (I am replacing this with Perrin before dyno)
22# target boost (1.5Bar)
Blouch 2.5 XTR Turbo
Custom 3" DP(to bypass EWG location)

Power pushed through stock clutch. 5sp. w/treated STi gears 1-4.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Sorry to hear your having issues! First off, how do you know your first tune was done with a COBB AP? They do have to be married to a specific car, and removing it to my knowledge, will remove the tune. It sounds like it was an open source tune using a tactrix cable or something similar.
Any reputable tuner will be able tune your car to your setup, to make the most out of what you have which should be a lot reading your mod list.
Sharing a custom cobb map is legal as far as I know, but you will want one specific to your car. Cobb even has them on their site, COBB Tuning - Maps
Cobb also has Cobb approved tuners/dealers on their site, a quick search in the Grand Rapids area, Im assuming thats what GR stands for, gave a few of them. They look pretty good, but I dont know anything about them. Custom Tuning in CT - Jannetty Racing SCT Tuning FAST HP TUNERS AEM SUPERCHIPS CUSTOM TUNING SUPERFLOW CHASSIS DYNO BEST IN NEW ENGLAND

Any good tuner should be able to give you a base map to get you to them.

I get wanting a dyno tune, im the same way, but E-tunes can be very accurate. I know there are a few guys on here running them, best tuner from my reading is Phatbotti tuning. Everyone on here who has gone through them has said great things about them. E-Tuning

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
That's what I thought too. Once the device is "unmarried" it should default back. My Cobb said something like,"caution: by loading this map. the current Cobb map and all data will be lost!" I was trying to save the tune I had, as I'm sure it would've been easier to tune with the existing one. Thank you for your E-tune reference! I haven't researched them yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.