Subaru WRX Forum banner

New BOV

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
hey all, im thinking about getting a new BOV, its a 02 impreza wrx everything is stock, i will probably keep it mostly that way, im not into racing or anything, but i do like the sound of a louder BOV. i was wondering what kinds i should be looking into, because i believe the stock ones recirculate the blow-off ? is this essential? or can i just buy any 'ol BOV and stick it on there? I'm new to subaru's , and well cars in general, so keep that in mind, lol i think the only other thing i might do in the near future is put a catback on for some better sound, any thoughts there? i want it not too quiet, but not too loud.

THANKS!

#3 ·
The Go fast bits Bov would meet your needs and is fully adjustable to vent to full atmospheric back to full recirculate if you want to go back it is a little pricey but I have it installed on my 02 wrx and my engine runs perfectly normal at full vent no problem.

Now there are the obvious drawbacks as your engine will end up running rich for a very very brief period of time as the air that is being vented has been metered by your mass air flow sensor so since the air has been metered fuel is sent to accommodate that air and when it gets vented the fuel keeps coming, but again this is a very very short period of time and does no catastrophic type damage to your engine.

My opinion is if you enjoy the sound of the vent go with that Bov as you can always turn a knob and switch to full recirculate if you change your mind down the road. Literally you can pull over pop the hood and change it with your bare hands!Thumbs Up

#5 ·
To each their own. There are several more expensive bov/bpv out there that work well and can adjust to either way. But to be on the safe side.
I suggest for you- do a snorkus delete( look up a DIY for this)
And do a nice cat back.
With these two mods, it shouldn't break your bank, but still give you the sounds you want.

Hope this helps
Ps. Snorkus delete will allow you to hear your bpv a bit more;)

#6 ·
im a little new to this so be forgiving but from what i have seen a reserc valve is a good thing to have i have seen ppl on here say there car runns crappy when you put a hks ssqv on there but what i have found is that cobb has a very good recerc/bov you can run it 50/50 works flawless and is good quality

#7 ·
From seeing/hearing/and knowing people that have ran the HKS, its pretty poorly designed/built. Same goes for Perrin (recirc BPV). I run the Cobb XLE BPV (after switching from Perrin) and its a nice piece, well built. And I have ran it both full recirc and 50/50 with AFR's staying the same and no ill affects. But again Im tuned on 20/22 PSI which the 02-07 WRX/STI BPV can/will handle for the most part. You guys that are only running STG1/STG2 setups really dont need them at all. Do the snorkus delete, and/or get a quality SRI, or even get a CAI with your DP and get a tune and you will get the same exact noise as an aftermarket unit.

#9 ·
My whole setup with the Cobb XLE BPV set on full recirc sounds almost EXACTLY like my stock BPV when I had just the Cobb SRI and TBE on my car. Thats why I honestly wouldnt wasted $300+ on a BPV/BOV if you dont have that many mods on the car, it can be better spent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.