New 2011 WRX Owner - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pet3r is an unknown
New 2011 WRX Owner

I'm about to purchase a new 2011 WRX (base). Finally the car I've always wanted to buy, so I'm pretty stoked.

I'm posting on this forum as you guys seem to know whats best in regards to tuning and stuff, so many WRX forums out there!

I've been reading a lot in the past 3 weeks about engine break-in (doing what Subaru recommends vs. running it hard), tuning, Cobb AP and other stuff.

I don't really want to tune the car to the max, I'm ok with stock for a number of reasons....but wouldn't mind adding some engine management/light tuning to give it a good bump without being dangerous or having cause for reliability issues.

If this has already been covered, please help me. I understand if this is a question that comes up a lot, but I did some searching and couldn't find what I was really looking for.

QUESTION: I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500-$1000 MAX on any tunes/upgrades to get the car running a bit better than stock. MAX performance isn't what I'm looking for, just a great addition that is safe, reliable but tunes the engine to what it should be running at.
From what I've found, people talk a lot about the COBB AP.

If I get a COBB, where is the best place to buy it, and should any other mods accompany it for a simple stage1. I'm in AZ so 91 is our max octane.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cobb has AZ, NV maps for your gas specifically so no sweat there. Sounds like a stage 1 tune is right up your alley from a Cobb AP. Definitely a nice boost with no risk since they go a bit on the safe side so as not to blow their customer's engines

I picked mine up for $350 used on ebay, but now they are only $595 new anywhere, so it's up to you. If you do go used, make sure it's unmarried.

Have fun! Love the 11's, super hot car!

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #3 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pet3r is an unknown
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking just adding the COBB AP would be sufficient, but I wasn't sure if any other mods should accompany it as well (like downpipe).
post #4 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Try reading here

COBB Tuning . Subaru WRX AccessPORT . Map Listing

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pet3r is an unknown
Would anyone care to enlighten me on the married/un-married Cobb APs? First time I've heard of this.

Also, can you buy ANY Cobb AP and then put your maps in it, or is it really specific to each make/model? Thanks for your links everyone, very helpful.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
I have an AP for sale. $400 bucks. It has been unmarried.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
post #7 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet3r View Post
Would anyone care to enlighten me on the married/un-married Cobb APs? First time I've heard of this.

Also, can you buy ANY Cobb AP and then put your maps in it, or is it really specific to each make/model? Thanks for your links everyone, very helpful.
You can put your own maps on the AP (after you get the software from COBB)
It's not exactly specific to a specific year. Subbie above has one you can use.

Married = Installed on someone else's car adn cannot be used on another car until it's been "unmarried".

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Couple things. . .

Cobb's maps aren't guaranteed on the safe side. You're hearing from a guy running an off the shelf stage 2 map from Cobb, with a Cobb catted downpipe and CBE. Blown ringlands on my baby. If you're okay with stock, and want to continue enjoying the benefits of your factory warranty, don't touch it with ANY sort of tuning. PERIOD. Subaru won't touch my vehicle with less than 20K on it because I used an AP. Even if you unmarry it, the program code is serialized and therefore the techs will see that something was done in the first place, and you'll be hosed. If you're trying to stay on a tight budget, you're probably not willing to fork out the $4K or so for an engine rebuild. That's my only warning. You pay to play. I still think my car is great, but Subaru will use ANY excuse to deny a claim on the motor. Especially with ringlands and their common failure rate.

Second, all Cobb AP-SUB-003's will work on your car. It doesn't matter beyond that which model it's advertised for. I used the same one on my previous '08 WRX and now my STi too. You just need to update the firmware which will automatically include the base maps too.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
And you can update the firmware once you connect it to your pc.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking just adding the COBB AP would be sufficient, but I wasn't sure if any other mods should accompany it as well (like downpipe).
That would be a Stage 2 set-up with a downpipe.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 12 Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hypertech is an unknown
Quote:
I'm about to purchase a new 2011 WRX (base). Finally the car I've always wanted to buy, so I'm pretty stoked.

I'm posting on this forum as you guys seem to know whats best in regards to tuning and stuff, so many WRX forums out there!

I've been reading a lot in the past 3 weeks about engine break-in (doing what Subaru recommends vs. running it hard), tuning, Cobb AP and other stuff.

I don't really want to tune the car to the max, I'm ok with stock for a number of reasons....but wouldn't mind adding some engine management/light tuning to give it a good bump without being dangerous or having cause for reliability issues.

If this has already been covered, please help me. I understand if this is a question that comes up a lot, but I did some searching and couldn't find what I was really looking for.

QUESTION: I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500-$1000 MAX on any tunes/upgrades to get the car running a bit better than stock. MAX performance isn't what I'm looking for, just a great addition that is safe, reliable but tunes the engine to what it should be running at.
From what I've found, people talk a lot about the COBB AP.

If I get a COBB, where is the best place to buy it, and should any other mods accompany it for a simple stage1. I'm in AZ so 91 is our max octane.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
The Hypertech unit is on $450 and does great with a stock or slightly modified WRX. Here is a link to the dyno chart for a stock car. http://www.hypertech.com/Performance...2_5L_Turbo.pdf
post #11 of 12 Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Is it $450 for the Mazda's as well ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 12 Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Who wants to be the HyperTech guinea pig?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement