Never seen a Stage 1 like this - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yes, it's purpose is to "recirc" the gasses and oil back into the pan.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
So the AOS recirculates the possible gunky build up, while the OCC removes it from the system? If that is the case the OCC sounds like a much better idea, but is one harder to install and maintain?
#18 Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The OCC has to be checked and cleaned/emptied out. Not sure on the intervals. Im sure it has to do with driving styles and habits. The AOS is install and done. Just need a 19mm socket when changing the oil. The OCC you have to have placed somewhere out of the way and if I recall low enough to not get sucked back or drain back into where you are trying to keep it from. I believe the AOS is an easier install and easier to maintain. But again people argue pros and cons for each.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Well that's some good info and I think I may be holding off on that mod for a while, once more power and handling is added that could be a good purchase before going Stage II

@newtothegame, how is the, or the lack there of, turbo lag with the 20G?
#20 Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDiRo View Post
So the AOS recirculates the possible gunky build up, while the OCC removes it from the system? If that is the case the OCC sounds like a much better idea, but is one harder to install and maintain?
MY maint on the OCC is putting a cup/jar under my tube and turn my wingnut and let it drain every two weeks. And every year or 2 clean the lines.

Reason I stopped with AOS's is because all the crud that the OCC was taking out of the picture vs. the AOS.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#21 Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDiRo View Post
Well that's some good info and I think I may be holding off on that mod for a while, once more power and handling is added that could be a good purchase before going Stage II

@newtothegame, how is the, or the lack there of, turbo lag with the 20G?
The money maker with turbo lag is in the tune. And of course the parts you run in conjunction with each other. That being said I have had this setup for just over 4yrs now and it definitely doesnt bother me anymore. My turbo probably spools 2-300 RPM's slower than the stocker did. Which to me was hardly noticeable at the time and was worth it for the gains I picked up. If John (man show) chimes in, he has the newer version of my turbo and is said to be better. So he might be able to chime in also (hopefully). For the most part Im very happy with this turbo having ran it on 91 and 92OCT the gains were nice. And Im sure with a tune on 93OCT I will actually get to where Im aiming with the car. Hope this helped you some, if you got anymore questions feel free to PM or ask me, just forgive me as I go on leave next week and may not reply as promptly as I usually do.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Will do, because I want to do a TBE and bigger turbo in the future, but I am so worried about boost creep. But as you said a good tune should keep the car in good order. But I am sure some internals will need to be upgraded as well. Glad my 06 only has 48,000 miles and I still have sometime to do heavier mods.
#23 Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Fumoto quick drain oil valves are the jam! Everybody should have one.

I'm not worried about a little gunk being recirculated back into my block because I keep my OCI's to 3k or less and I drive my car a few hundred miles every week. I'm just concerned with keeping the air and oil separated. A fair amount of the gunk inside OCC's is created by the OCC's themselves anyway. When you turn your hot engine off, condensation forms on the inside of the cans (think about it: hot/cold/metal/air) and that will eventually settle and mix with the oil that's already trapped. The gunk (minus the water) probably has decent lubricating properties anyway - anybody test it?

As for the 20G, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it with my stock engine, even though it was only for a few thousand miles. My stock engine had over 90k when I upgraded the turbo, so I kind of expected the catastrophic failure. Anyway, I recently had it rebuilt with forged internals and cams and I have a tune scheduled for tomorrow morning so I'll be able to provide more feedback after that. Personally, I think it's the perfect sized turbo for a daily driven WRX with a 2.5L engine. Of course, different mods will change the characteristics, but here's my old dyno graph so you can get a better idea of what kind of power it makes and when it comes on.

Mods at the time were:

IAG Big MAF intake
Perrin turbo inlet
Blouch TD06H-20G-XT
TurboXS tmic
NGK one step colder Iridium plugs
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Injector Dynamics 1000 cc injectors
Perrin crank pulley
GrimmSpeed 3 port ebcs
GrimmSpeed ported/polished stock headers w/ high flow crosspipe
Cobb catted dp
HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back
Cobb AP V2

330 whp/338 tq
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#24 Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not if you empty if often. Every... and I mean EVERY car is different when it comes to this.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#25 Old 08-11-2012, 01:03 PM

My 07 has just over 50k on it. And Im actually still running a stock block. Im pretty religious about up keep on my car also. Hell if the engine goes, time for a better engine and probably bigger turbo also. If you get a 20G and get a good tune, you shouldnt have too many issues with the engine (not saying John had a bad tune on his car). I have known some guys to run 18G and 20Gs for well over 100k on a stock block. But again each car is different also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#26 Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Since I want to keep my 06 for a while and still want to do the larger turbo in the future I am definitely going to look into upgrading the blocks internals. As far as Man Show's maps, that is a very good amount of power! This is where I fear of blowing out the transmission just based on the fact those are notoriously week and then expensive to rebuild or even more expensive to drop in a 6 speed(which I would love to do if I could one day)!

I honestly would probably be happy to be at 250-300 for a long time before trying to go well over 300 Hp.
#27 Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

CorvetteMike2004 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Fumoto quick drain oil valves are the jam! Everybody should have one.

I'm not worried about a little gunk being recirculated back into my block because I keep my OCI's to 3k or less and I drive my car a few hundred miles every week. I'm just concerned with keeping the air and oil separated. A fair amount of the gunk inside OCC's is created by the OCC's themselves anyway. When you turn your hot engine off, condensation forms on the inside of the cans (think about it: hot/cold/metal/air) and that will eventually settle and mix with the oil that's already trapped. The gunk (minus the water) probably has decent lubricating properties anyway - anybody test it?

As for the 20G, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it with my stock engine, even though it was only for a few thousand miles. My stock engine had over 90k when I upgraded the turbo, so I kind of expected the catastrophic failure. Anyway, I recently had it rebuilt with forged internals and cams and I have a tune scheduled for tomorrow morning so I'll be able to provide more feedback after that. Personally, I think it's the perfect sized turbo for a daily driven WRX with a 2.5L engine. Of course, different mods will change the characteristics, but here's my old dyno graph so you can get a better idea of what kind of power it makes and when it comes on.

Mods at the time were:

IAG Big MAF intake
Perrin turbo inlet
Blouch TD06H-20G-XT
TurboXS tmic
NGK one step colder Iridium plugs
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Injector Dynamics 1000 cc injectors
Perrin crank pulley
GrimmSpeed 3 port ebcs
GrimmSpeed ported/polished stock headers w/ high flow crosspipe
Cobb catted dp