need a tuners help. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Ok so i must have double clicked the dam cause it wasn't checked this morning when i looked. What was on there was just the dynamic advance. Not the multiplier. I monitored the dam on my way to work and it never moved from 3. You said it should be 16? What could cause that? Knock? Other than higher Oct gas how can i fix that. I've never used anything but 91 Piss water in it. Or is it that i just really need to get off this ots map?
Well DAMnit Sorry had to. Quick test, reset the ECU and see if that number has changed.

Edit: I was right it should be 16.
For the Drive-By-Cable (DBC) vehicles, the DAM has a range from 0 to 16 (measured in increments of ~1. 0) to determine what portion of Dynamic Advance will be run. A DAM of 0 usually means the vehicle is seeing continuous detonation, and a value of 16 would indicate the ECU is happy with the tune and is allowing a more aggressive total ignition advance curve.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Ok i will reset it. I use the monitor feature a lot but that's not one i have ever paid attention too see a change. Ill do a reset and give it the business.

Hmmm what to do about this....e85 tune??

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#18 Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
It could be any number of factors, but one thing is for sure you are getting alot of knock....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, so i did a reset. I let it sit over night. When i started it up this morning dam was sitting at 12. Pretty much back to normal, still a slight hesitation down low. After right at 10 miles dam dropped to 8. Then about 2 more miles it went to 6 Then stayed there the next ten miles to work. Still idling in front of work and still sitting at 6. So...what next?

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 09-27-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
#20 Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Find out what's causing your knock...Could be a bad injector, could be a bad fuel filter, any number of things. Did you gap the plug properly? try cleaning your MAF sensor as well.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah plugs should be right. If anything a little close rather than too much gap. That was part of me troubleshooting the misfire codes i got last month. I had some non pre gapped plugs in. I changed them out with pre gapped ones and gave a light tap on each to get them slightly closer(they looked identical to the ones i pulled out.) I will get a new fuel filter next and see what happens. No clue when it was last changed. Not looking forward to the injectors though. If they come out they are getting replaced ha ha. May do that when i go for a tune this spring. Ahhhh the joys of an older car.

Kevin.
#22 Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Yeah plugs should be right. If anything a little close rather than too much gap. That was part of me troubleshooting the misfire codes i got last month. I had some non pre gapped plugs in. I changed them out with pre gapped ones and gave a light tap on each to get them slightly closer(they looked identical to the ones i pulled out.) I will get a new fuel filter next and see what happens. No clue when it was last changed. Not looking forward to the injectors though. If they come out they are getting replaced ha ha. May do that when i go for a tune this spring. Ahhhh the joys of an older car.
Pfffft yeah I hear ya brother. Truth be told though I wouldn't have it any other way.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#23 Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

thanks for all the help keith. i will post back on this thread when i do the filter. prob be next weekend sometime. gonna go to the oklahoma football game this weekend so i wont be around to work on it.

Kevin.
#24 Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
If I was you I'd quit driving your car untill you get it figured out. With the dam that far off you car is very unhappy, and I wouldn't risk further damage.

As far as monitoring your car, the DAM is something you should check every day.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#25 Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah i have been. Kinda sucks because this is my daily driver. My wife and i work opposite sides of the city so we cant car pool. I will prob bump up the fuel filter install to this Friday. will also clean the maf. It was cleaned about 4 months ago just because i looked and saw it was filthy. But i do see some dirt roads from time to time so it may be dirty again. Other than what i have planned any other places to start?

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 09-28-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
#26 Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scary as it may be, do a compression check as well. Bad rings my cause oil to get into the chamber and cause misfires, and knock if bad enough.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#27 Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

k ill definetly look into that. havent started to see any smoke out the back but i have seen a puff of smoke on startup once or twice. nothing consistant though. ill see on the compression check. really hoping that one comes out ok. it would suck big time to have to rip it apart.

Kevin.
#28 Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

I will have a spare 2.34L if your in the market....as soon as those stupid case bolts get here....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#29 Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mmmm. That would be fun. But Im afraid everything else i would have to buy would be way out of my budget

Kevin.
#30 Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well your looking at $3000 just for the shortblock, cause that's about what I will have in it...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...