In Need of Second Opinion. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
In Need of Second Opinion.

Ok, so im going to get my car re-tuned next week, and after talking to the tuner he informed me not to re-install my UTEC. He informed me that it would be in my better interest just to do a tune on my stock ECU. Now im not going to argue with someone who does this for a living, but i feel that the UTEC would benefit me. Theres a lot of options that come with the UTEC that seem like a plus to me. Now to further increase me wanting to re-install the UTEC is right now i have a tune on my stock ECU and the car is running like horse piss. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this situation...What would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
mods?

just saw your profile, im not too familiar with utec but i think the utec would probably be best considering you have several mods. he must be feeling lazy or is unfamiliar with utec. call another shop and just see what they say.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty

Last edited by baller_v24; 01-05-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: viewed mods in profile
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
What features exactly do you want to use from the UTEC?Retuning the stock ECU using Opensource or the such gives you complete control of OBDII functions,which UTEC does not have the ability to do.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
Well, the biggest reason i wanted to re-install it was for the stage selector, and the fact that you can electronically manage fuel, boost, timing, and all that. Also, a friend of mine has a UTEC installed on his 02 and he said it made a huge difference in how the car was running. Now i know an opensource tune would help the same way, but i just want to make sure first off, that im doing the right thing not re-installing it, and that im going to see the same amount of power levels i would with it installed. But im also not familiar with opensource tuning. So im not sure what the big differences would be.
#5 Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Opensource controls ALL OEM functions.Timing,boost,fuel....
Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The only thing that the UTEC is good for is launch control and running speed density. A lot of tuners don't like the UTEC.

Just let him use open source to tune the car. That leaves the ECU in full control of the car. If that is what he advises and you trust him to tune the car let him do it the way he thinks he should.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#7 Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
For people who like to fiddle, the UTEC can be awesome. You don't want to re-flash your ECU every 5 minutes, it can be damaging. The UTEC though can be re-flashed all you want and can even switch between maps with a simple toggle on the go. It's not state of the art anymore but it still has it's advantages for those who want to tune themselves.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
Thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to the tuner again today and he said the problem with the UTEC would be the car would run more rough with it installed. Now like mosc said its nice to be able to play around and be able to switch between maps on the fly. That was one of the biggest draws to installing the UTEC, along with the launch control, since i do plan on doing some drag racing in the summer. Also since i already have the UTEC sitting in my house i figured i might as well install it. But pretty much whats going to happen now is im going to go this coming wednesday to the tuner, and just bring the UTEC with me and talk it over face to face about what my best option would be. I mean i'm in no position at this point with my knowledge to be fiddling too much with the re-flashing but its nice to have something that if or when the time comes that i would need to i dont need another 400 bucks to have someone do it. Thanks again though everyone!