MZM Austin, Texas - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
MZM Austin, Texas

Has anyone heard anything about these guys? I tuned with Engine Logics in Houston and they netted me 260/240 with an 18g setup and big tmic. (also other supporting mods). I feel like these numbers might be low and am considering trying these guys out. I want more torque than 240.

Also...if anyone here would like to chat im thinking about an alcohol kit. I know zero about them and am just trying to get some prelim info. Mzm wanted 1400 for a kit (With safety features), install, and tune. Im thinking i could get the parts and install them myself for much cheaper and spend 400 on a tune. Keep it around 1000 or cheaper.

two sexy asses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
What dyno did they use and what were ambient temps that day?What were all your mods and injector size?What is your max boost set for?

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What size TMIC is it? If it's STi sized, you might be limiting on that too, especially if it was a hot day when you got it tuned.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 13 Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
ive herd good things about MZM. they provide top quality stuff for the wrx/sti, besides its pretty close to us, like 3 hours or so which isn't bad at all.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

some more info for you guys...It was a hot summer day around 95ish. Im running dw 650cc and the ebay tmic (bigger than the sti). The tune is boosting around 18.5 psi. The IC never seems to get hot even after several hard pulls...can one assume it is not a limiting factor? The dyno was a dynodynamics I also have the greddy EBC since the stock b.sol blows.

two sexy asses
post #6 of 13 Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Garage
There are a lot of things it could be including just the heat itself. 95 outside could be a lot hotter inside...

post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i had my 03 bugeye tuned their by mohammed there in mzm, they are great, really professional and are experts, they will get it done right but it does cost a pretty penny. They have had several cars have their own spread on dsport magazines. they have a mustang dyno so your numbers will look lower, it's not about the numbers as much as it is about how it drives and feels in my opinion.

When i had my car in there, there was a supra, 2 rx-7s and a honda s2000 inside the shop. all out of state (if that says anything)

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #8 of 13 Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Garage
If it was a mustang dyno and it was really hot and your intercooler isn't the greatest, those numbers are pretty reasonable. The fact that your intercooler wasn't getting hot would lead me to think it's kinda a POS incapable of doing it's job. That turbo's plenty big, especially on a hot day, to push the best of top mounts...

post #9 of 13 Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pos incapable of doing its job is a very irrational statement...I meant the IC does not seem heat soaked. I payed 200 bucks for it along with a free bov and sold the bov for 100...Rather than bashing my setup how about some constuctive critisism? I will be having around 1500 sitting around by the end of this semester, and the mod bug is getting to me again. Now If I go alcohol I have a feeling my tranny will be in danger (correct me if iam wrong). Mosc would you think a nice fmic would be a worthy investment? Imho the car with endlinks and swaybars handles just fine so I don't feel the need to spend 1000+ on more suspension mods...any ideas? More power is where my heart lays right now haha. Its just getting to the point where I would rather sell the car...keep the 5 grand i would spend on gears, and just buy an STI.

two sexy asses
post #10 of 13 Old 09-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgprestige15 View Post
Its just getting to the point where I would rather sell the car...keep the 5 grand i would spend on gears, and just buy an STI.
Only and IDIOT would do that, CLEARLY [/sarcasm] (RIP my 04 WRX).

I was saying your intercooler is a piece of junk precisely because it was NOT getting heat soaked. Your setup on a hot day should be PLENTY to get it going. If it wasn't even hot, it's just not cooling very well. Remember the purpose of the intercooler is to pull heat from the intake while maintaining boost pressure. If the intercooler isn't getting hot, it's either because it's more than sufficient or it's not doing it's job. I'm saying it's likely the latter in your situation.

In your shoes, I'd get a nice TMIC or a FMIC if you really want to swing that way (you seem good with selling, maybe you can get $100 for yours), a GM BCS, a retune, and spend the rest on handling (rubber most likely).

Also, you don't have up-pipe, intercooler, and intake on your mod list but I'll assume they're there?

post #11 of 13 Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I have the uppipe and intercooler (of course). I do not have an aftermarket intake. Could that help with gains given I tune along with it? Selling has been on my mind...the car is in excellent shape and an STi is sounding reaaaaaaally good. Now unless I can find some ppgs for super cheap (pshh) I see no reason to continue modding this cars power from an economical standpoint when I could just buy an STi. Only two more years and I should be getting a nice oil company paycheck so maybe I should just wait on it all?

two sexy asses
post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Garage
It's been shown (although I used to argue against it) that the stock intake silencer limits power at ~300whp. You don't need an aftermarket intake but you should rip out the silencer. Of course, an aftermarket intake does that for you. I still think the intercooler is the main thing holding you back though.

On STi vs modded WRX: I mean, I'm bias. I don't want to really get into that. Clearly there are reasons to do it both ways. There are good things about working with the car you already have, there are good things about trading it in for a superior platform.

I wouldn't wish buying a used STi on anybody though, it was a war for me. I still ended up with one that needed a few k in love. Same time, it's nice not loosing sleep over your gearbox. There's so many little "extras" with the STi too. It's a very special car.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

its the SS autochrome ebay IC to be exact. Now I remember reading about that intake silencer delete mod. Do air filters make any difference?

oh yea while im chillin here during class....the shroud under my from two wheels litterally ripped itself out of place the other day while I was driving on the highway. I thought I hit a homeless person or something then realized I now have no shround under my wheel welsl. wtf how does this happen haha. Guess I need to pay the dealership a visit?

two sexy asses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement