Subaru WRX Forum banner

Muffler delete need tune ?

31K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  yamahaquadrunner 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2017 subaru wrx with about 3,400 miles. I wanted to get a nameless muffler delete for 299.99 and I was wondering if I need a tune for this. I've read and heard from many people that subaru's need tunes for almost everything. I've been reading and some people say yes some say no. I wanted to know for sure because I don't think i'm going to get an access port anytime soon.
Thanks

#2 ·
To answer your question, no you dont need a tune for a muffler delete.

If you swap any part that impacts the intake or exhaust flow then you should tune. That means J pipe, intakes and some wider catbacks should be tuned for but if your leaving the midpipe stock you can skip the tune and enjoy your extra volume.

Keep in mind that these cars do not make any additional horsepower on any mods without a tune so any time you try to make more power you need to tune.

hope that clears things up.

#4 ·
On a 2017 there is a resonator in the intake path you could pull. People typically refer to it as the "Milk Jug delete"

Removing it will make your intake a bit noisier and because you making the modification in front of your air filter you dont need to tune for that either. The noise increase in minimal but some people are into it.

#6 ·
Nothing more you could do without a tune.

If you really want louder exhaust you could pull the resonator or swap the midpipe but I think that makes them sound worse. I might be getting old but i rind the low rumble to be considerably better than a super loud rasp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.