Max torque the stock internals can take - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

7055 is an unknown
Max torque the stock internals can take

hello, wondering what the most torque to the wheels an STI motor can take on stock internals before you risk breaking something in the motor. preferably in torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Not every car is the same.Not every tune is the same.Is it the car that broke or the bad tuning that broke the car?Basiclly telling you there is no magic #.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#3 Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

7055 is an unknown
On a mediocre tune maybe an estimate of when it would be a good idea to start upgrading your internals?
#4 Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i agree with dum dum. but i keep reading over on nasioc and some people like to replace internals with anything over 375 ish or 400 whp. it's a good idea imo because if u want to have an agressive daily driver it would be good to do it right. it really does count on your tuner though he's got to know how much knock if any the car has and how much to back the timing and boost and fuel. i would try calling a local speed shop that works on subies and ask them what they recommend to start changing out internals.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#5 Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

7055 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
i agree with dum dum. but i keep reading over on nasioc and some people like to replace internals with anything over 375 ish or 400 whp. it's a good idea imo because if u want to have an agressive daily driver it would be good to do it right. it really does count on your tuner though he's got to know how much knock if any the car has and how much to back the timing and boost and fuel. i would try calling a local speed shop that works on subies and ask them what they recommend to start changing out internals.
How much torque would 375-400 whp be? Like 325-350wtq?
#6 Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Prob more like 375-400wtq

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

7055 is an unknown
Don't these motors usually produce alot more hp than torque, thats what I'd figure with that 7500 rpm redline anyway.
#8 Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
if anything some cars have more tq than hp. 7500 redline? is that when you actually hit your rev limiter?

#9 Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's too high, the engine stops producing power around 6K or a little under. Correct me if I'm wrong.
#10 Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

that's correct it's actually slightly less at like 5800 ish. or atleast that's how it is on my sti when i did some dyno pulls. everyone says to shift around this rpm range but when i went to the track, my fastest times and higher trap speeds were when i shifted at redline.

#11 Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
A TBE and good tune(especially if they retune the AVCS) will continue to produce power much higher than 6K.You should shift at redline because it keeps the rpms up high when you hit the next gear.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#12 Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
A lot of it has to do with your tune though... If you look at dyno graphs of an off the shelf tune like a Cobb AP tune, the HP peaks at 5400 RPM and then starts to drop off a bit.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/2656.jpg

You want to shift just after the peak to get the max torque and then get the revs up a bit to compensate for the loss of boost and acceleration when you push the clutch in. This will help the revs to be higher as you shift into the next gear. I say again, it all depends on the tune. You could probably get a tune that sets the max HP super low, but falls off drastically, and vise versa.

As for the internal swapping, I dont know that there is a hard and fast number to go by, but a good place to start would be a speed shop that sells built blocks from Cosworth or another Subaru engine builder, and see what they say. I am pretty sure it depends on your particular setup.
#13 Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
.You should shift at redline because it keeps the rpms up high when you hit the next gear.
agreed, there was another 04 sti at the track and his times were also better when he took it to redline, although some people claim that they have better times shifting at lower rpms. im sure tune has tons to with it, but that other sti was bone stock also

#14 Old 11-17-2007, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd4life View Post
You want to shift just after the peak to get the max torque and then get the revs up a bit to compensate for the loss of boost and acceleration when you push the clutch in.

Crap, I meant "max horse power".
#15 Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

7055 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd4life View Post
You could probably get a tune that sets the max HP super low, but falls off drastically, and vise versa.
You mean torque? Getting your max HP at a low RPM is essentially impossible as a result of its formula.