knock light - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

goofoff is an unknown
knock light

ok so i have a utec system. every once in awhile when i get on it the check engine light flashes, i know thats the knock light. i tried lowering boost to see if that would help, but nothing still did it. now i guess what i'm asking is, is there a good write up on the utec system cause i cant log on to it with my computer. it wont connect. when i was reading, i read that i need to adjust my timing and fuel cause its denating. i plan on getting the car tuned soon, was going to go to pdx but was wondering also if anyone in the western washington area knows of a good place near by. any help would be appreciated, i dont want to blow my motor. any time i see it flash i let off the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
There is Kito up in Seattle, and Pacific Import Auto. Supposedly Tim Bailey comes by PIA once and awhile to tune cars. Thats where I will go to get my protune when Im ready for it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 10-26-2008, 08:11 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
If the "knock light" is coming on at low loads and rpms it is probably false knock (road noise).If is up high under WOT i would try adding an octane booster just to see if it is the gas.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Dom doesn't tune for kito any more so i don't know who is tuning there. there is also Dyno Authority in Redmond.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stefan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
If the "knock light" is coming on at low loads and rpms it is probably false knock (road noise).If is up high under WOT i would try adding an octane booster just to see if it is the gas.
Octane boost is a joke...That stuff doesnt work at all....
#6 Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Octane boost is a joke...That stuff doesnt work at all....
Octane Booster Reviews
Depends on the one you buy.You don't need 104 octane to change detonation.Even 2 octane points can make a difference.You can also go down to your local hardware store and buy some tolulene to slam in the tank and it works.

#7 Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

goofoff is an unknown
you dont think that putting an octain booster will effect the base map on the utec. running 18lbs of boost.
#8 Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
WRXpert

Not sure what your question is ...do you understand what octane does and how it works?Less of it causes a problem,not alittle more of it.If you don't want to do that then learn to datalog the car and pull timing from the area where the knock is happening.Should be pretty obvious where it is by looking at feedback and fine knock correction or where IAM has changed.

#9 Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

goofoff is an unknown
i cant log on to the utec from my laptop. i think my usb adapter is a crappy one. whats the worst thing that could happen if i put the octane booster in? I'm not sure if my Car is set up for 92 octane (premium). still new to this whole turbo thing, but loving every minute of it.
#10 Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Hell yes it's set up for premium! What are you putting in there?!?!?! The car is 91 MINIMUM! 93 would be safer if you have it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Slithgtly higher octane will definitely NOT have any bad side effects. On the contrary, it can only help you.
#12 Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Speaking of this, off a little, some idiot tried to put 89 in my car the other weekend in Oregon. I almost punched him, lol. But try the simple things first before going for the big expensive ones. Start with some octane booster and go from there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

goofoff is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Hell yes it's set up for premium! What are you putting in there?!?!?! The car is 91 MINIMUM! 93 would be safer if you have it.
Yes everytime i put premium in. I'm not that stupid. It even says on the gas door Premium. Next fill up i'll throw in some booster. Any suggestions?
#14 Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
WRXpert

Only posted this earlier in this thread...... Octane Booster Reviews

#15 Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

goofoff is an unknown
Just filled up, put some stp octane boost and so far no knock light. hopefully this works.