injectors and ecu - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

imprezive591 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imprezive591
injectors and ecu

i want to eventually get a big 16g or 18g turbo and obviously i need bigger injectors, (and pump). what i don't understand is how the whole process works. does the ecu calibrate for the amount of fuel needed and the bigger injector is only needed for when your dumping fuel in under acceleration? obviously a bigger sized set of injectors is gonna need a tune for a smoother running. also i've heard on here to NOT run the injectors on an stock ecu. i guess what i'm asking is once you install the injectors, how do you go from a stock ecu to a tuned computer that works well with the bigger injectors (w/ the bigger turbo)?

can i put like 650's in and then drive it to a tuner 200miles away on a cobb stage 2 map, with injectors, turbo, and fuel pump installed? even though there is no cobb map for this setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Well, yes. The short answer is that Injectors on a stock ECU is a no no. The first option which is usually done is to simply pay the tuner to do the mod for you which of course means it's already sitting there. The next best option is to get a temporary base map which accounts for the injectors and turbo. Usually this is good enough to drive whatever distance you want, it just comes with the "don't push the car" warning.

The final way to do this though is to just suck it up and drive it the way it is. Mattering on what you're doing, this can be doable or not. If the injectors and turbo you are getting are relatively close to stock, your car will run with them. You should just be very careful not to use too much go petal.

Now, I don't think you have no options here. If you have an AP, they make base maps for a variety of setups. If you're staying with stock internals, you're probably going to be on a map that's relatively close to one they got. For instance, they make a map for the 04 for a VF34 and STi pink injectors. Now, I wouldn't open her up on that map but it's going to be closer than stock and would probably help you limp it to the tuner.

The key thing is just not using the gas petal much. This keeps the duty cycle low and the turbo un-spooled. Unless you're putting massively larger injectors on there, it'll just be rich. Is that good? No, but it's not going to blow it up on a 200 mile drive to a tuner.... as long as you don't try to push it.

EDIT: actually, I think cobb may have some limp maps available too which would limit you from hurting it as well. Remember you can download maps too, it's got more than what it came with.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD