Subaru WRX Forum banner

Identical "Protunes" Possible?!?!

4K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
So I'm reaching out to ALL tuning experts with this one, as I feel there's some serious shadiness going down with one of NE tuners.

So my question is this. What's the chances 2 "Protunes" would be identical? If you follow the link below you'll see that both the OP of that thread and myself both have totally different mods yet we have the same exact numbers. Also in the link you'll see 2 other "Protunes" with even bigger variances in mods/models yet they have identical numbers as well! We were all tuned by the same person. Please chime in with any knowledgable info.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34649

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
To my understanding/personal experience, tuners will start out w a base map and then tweak it thru a few dyno pulls. I have read in the past of a few tuners "finding and saving" there most successful map. That being said, it's not outta the question that more then a few people can have the same tune. Kinda pointless to get a "PROTUNE" if its the same as someone else's. If this is true, it's disappointing.

I do know that all subies and their protunes are usually always diff. I've witnessed cars w the same mods make diff whp/torque. My tuner tunes to where the motor/customer is happy w a safe tune.

I would really like to know the outcome of this situation (we prob will never find out unless we send another car out to this tuner).

#3 ·
To my understanding/personal experience, tuners will start out w a base map and then tweak it thru a few dyno pulls. I have read in the past of a few tuners "finding and saving" there most successful map. That being said, it's not outta the question that more then a few people can have the same tune. Kinda pointless to get a "PROTUNE" if its the same as someone else's. If this is true, it's disappointing.

That's exactly what I'm thinking he's doing! Certainly seems plausible by all the info posted here and in the link.

#4 ·
^But if this is the case, then the tuner isn't "maximizing" the cars potential or even making use out of what is done to the car.

Tell me Brandon, did you do dyno pulls and then take to the street for tweaks and that was it? Did you ever get back on the dyno after the street tune?

This maybe the contributing factor.

#5 ·
I don't know how you determined your tunes were identical. You made the same power numbers. The similarities end there. In one of your examples you posted a car with a stock EBCS vs aftermarket. That alone shows the tunes would be different, regardless of the peak numbers.

#7 ·
I don't know how you determined your tunes were identical. You made the same power numbers. The similarities end there.
Ok not saying identical (misphrased) but I'm more curious as to whether that's something that seems plausible? Isn't multiple cars hitting the same numbers a seemingly impossible coincidence?

#12 ·
Ok, well this makes sense..... 99% sure that each car is making different power now.

He IS doing it ass backwards though. He should be doing the dyno pulls at the end to give an END result.

I've never had a Dyno and Street tune on the same car on the same tuning session. It's either/or...

#14 ·
Pulled from Brandon and Ricky's profile (if updated correctly)

Brandon:
Invidia Catted Downpipe
Injen CAI
Forge Recic BPV
@18psi

Ricky:
Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust
Invidia Catless Divorced Downpipe
Cobb AccessPort
GFB hybrid BOV
Cobb SF intake w/ airbox
@17.5 (dyno looks like 18.5)

Differences are:
CAI vs WAI
catted vs catless
OS vs AP
bellmouth vs divorced (not certain it matters at this point)

Hardly the same mods... Not trying to add fuel to the fire buuuuut....

I haven't looked on the youtube cars.

#15 ·
Your talking about similar cars with only slightly different mods that aren't going to make that much of a difference in power...annnnnnd in defense of the tuner, do you really want cars you tune blowing up left and right? Hope you catch my drift there...

#19 ·
Well I rarely tune anything on the dyno unless it's a track car(drag) or dyno queen. I tune almost entirely for street use and you'll see a different power output from one to the other....Also could be the correction factor on the dyno maybe?

#22 ·
highly possible that could be the case, but you'd still get different numbers on the dyno even from the same car on the same day....I will say that if this is though, if your a professional tuner that is not a good way to increase business...

#25 ·
Direct quote from BrenTuning:

"Our dyno is pretty exact since there is no wheel / tire loss between cars. It happens alot actually. Maps are very similar between cars with similar mods so it happens. Some cars same day mapped identically make -10 less then each other. Fuel quality etc. however stage 2 cars come in very close as there is Not much variation in them. We didnt get popular by screwing people for 8 years. I've tuned a million cars 09+ stage2 vf52 wrxs with same mods all make within 5hp and tq of each other IF they are setup correctly, as they are pump gas limited or intercooler limited in power."

Thoughts?.?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.