I need to know if i need a tune! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris_3546 is an unknown
I need to know if i need a tune!

hey all, my friend just bought a 2009 WRX sedan with a Perrin intercooler, aftermarket header, K&N intake, and full TBE. after researching this site it sounds like he may be in danger of harming his engine if he does not get a tune on it. unfortunately i have never really dealt with the WRX or many other turbo applications. however i do know that mods such as headers and full exhaust and intake can start to push the limits of a factory ecu on an N/A car. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
He doesn't exactly neeeed a tune because the car will run without one... but he would benefit greatly from a good tune. So, yeah, he actually does need a tune. Know what I mean?

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris_3546 is an unknown
cool thanks man. wasnt exactly sure
#4 Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You're in Texas, look up a little shop called COBB. I think they can tune you.

-Chris
#5 Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Basically what John was saying...is that it will run like crap if it's not tuned.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Heh, I re-read my post and it sort of made sense, but it also didn't. SO, yeah.. get a tune. Thanks Kirt.

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
i find it hard to believe that all thoughs parts came on the car and the previous owner didnt get a tune!! thats a lot of parts and good parts! you have to know something about the WRX before you slap them bad boys on. and if he knows something theres no way the car wasnt tuned for. if it had an AP and he unmarried it than thats one thing. but why take the AP and not everything else?? them items would sell like hot cakes!

but to answer the question. if that car has no tune and is running around hitting boost im surprised it hasnt blown up awhile ago! thats a lot of air flow and no increased fuel. it has to have a tune, more i think it would have blown up already. stock is 14.5 a/f. with all that it would be above that and without having the wastegate duty cycles touched or boost controler its probably also seeing 20psi spiking. its been tuned some how.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#8 Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

chris_3546 is an unknown
ok thanks synolimit. thats about what i was thinking. i have done quite a bit of work with my n/a tc and it's A/F ratio and i was thinking that the wrx needed to be somewhere along the lines of 10.8:1 at WOT. so i have another question also. sometimes when he is on the freeway in 4th and on the gas, the car will shudder and then slow dowwn abit and then the check engine light, cruise control light, and the traction control light come on. i know the cruise and traction are because subies shut that off when you have a cel. so my question is, is the car leaning out or having a spike in psi when this happens?
#9 Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
He really needs to get the CELs read, and probably find a tuner ASAP.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, flashing cruise usually means its either running more rich or lean then it should be. Which will cause damage over time. Just a normal CEL means its something minor.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae