How would these improve my EJ207 Bugeye JDM STi? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
How would these improve my EJ207 Bugeye JDM STi?

Hi I think they are more appropriate in the bolt on tech but the bolt on forums do not include EJ207 -

Anyway, I am not sure which turbo is in this JDM engine (??VF30) but the turbo hardly spools until it hits 3500 rpm then there is at least one second lag and then some pulling rushes in mildly and then you get swept by a tornado at 4000rpm and within a whiff it has hit 6000rpm and you are in decline from there ...

Currently completely stock running RON98 fuel. Apart from large bore catback exhaust (I am told by previous owner). I live in a remote place and have no subaru tuners. THe only turbo shop in town told be AHA just install a boost controller - that suggested they know crap all ..

How do I make it spool earlier?

1) Change to catless uppipe? - what does that achieve and does it need ECU retune
2) Change to catless downpipe? - what does that achieve and does it need ECU retune
3) Others? JDM piggyback chip (where to buy?)

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Tuning will help eliminate most slow spooling issues. I recommend either the Opensource software(romraider) or the Cobb Acessport. I will try and answer your questions as best I can considering I don't see many JDM cars here in the states.

1). Will decrease spool time a bit, but mostly it eliminates the factory cat. It is recommend to get a ECU tune with any modification to take full advantage of the it.
2). Will allow exhaust gasses to be moved quickly past the turbo which will help your slow boost issues by using a bigger diameter pipe, plus eliminating the factory cat. Yes you will need a tune as stated before.
3). I would recommend getting a type of tuning software before anything else other than a good set of tires. You can buy the Cobb Accessport through Cobbs webiste COBB Tuning - Engineered Performance. If you want to go the open source route I would suggest reading up on it a bit here Opensource Read Up..
Hope this helps you out.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Keith, I don't think Cobb supports anything that is not a USDM Subie ECU.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
Hi, I was just going to say Cobb Accessport does not list JDM bugeye as one of the supported models - might try the way of opensource -

just want to check i've got the right idea with opensource:
you need the tactrix openport 2.0 unit, the extension cable, and the flash cable
then you download the software and find maps and start flashing away?
#5 Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Pretty much, but you may not find YOUR exact setup as far as a "posted map" on the site. It WILL take tweaks.

I thought there were a ton of tuners on OZ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
Haha i live in bottom new Zealand but i guess wrxtuners have no knowledge of its existence hence Oz is the next closest country i can choose...

Yeah i guess I'm gonna take it slowly from here, finding my options ... Seriously, will a tune get rid of the turbo lag by much and improve spool by much? Either way the nearest trusted nz tuner is about a thousand miles away in the north
#7 Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cobb Tuning in Japan is Prova(sp?), and it works on JDM models... If you wanna start with Open source you'll just need what is listed in that thread I used in my first post. They have some JDM maps on the site and I know guys post on there from NZ...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Keith, I don't think Cobb supports anything that is not a USDM Subie ECU.
Prova and Cusco do.

????????BL/BP?PROVA????????????????????

http://www.cusco.co.jp/pdf/P353.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Cobb Tuning in Japan is Prova(sp?)
Prova has been around longer than Cobb and is not the same company. They are just one of 2 companies selling a rebranded AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker97 View Post
you need the tactrix openport 2.0 unit, the extension cable, and the flash cable
then you download the software and find maps and start flashing away?
It's not that simple. Pretty much any map you can download is going to need revisions. I wouldn't plug and play any downloadable maps.
#9 Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for confirming that brfatal....See Kirt I are not stupid...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, rebranded still isn't Cobb. But, nice to know. Good information guys.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
aah ... all in japanese

think i'll have to live with my nothing-wrong-with-it car for the mo' ... i'll try some aussie tuners but they're not very helpful at the mo'
#12 Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Most Aussie tuners seem to use ECUTEK.
#13 Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
hi again guys i've spent a bit of time at romraider trying to understand a few things but not quite have the time to start tuning - my main drawback is installing the wideband ... no one here seems to know how to install the thing properly ...

can I ask - if i only remove the cats, and not do a tune, run it on RON98 as usual (remember this is JDM STi 2001) ... what is the most likely scenario based on your knowledge?