How bad do I need a tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
How bad do I need a tune?

I did a couple logs today, just wondering if someone would like to look at them and let me know how bad a need a tune? Mods include "EL header, Cobb CAI, catless UP, Cobb TBE, pulstar plugs, Turbo xs TMIC, HKS BOV" all running on a stage 2 map. I really want an aftermarket bpv because the stock one will not fit on my tmic. but anyways If you are good at reading these let me know. I have an AP race tuner program but I don't have the knowledge to tune myself...Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf datalog14.pdf (145.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf datalog15.pdf (139.5 KB, 83 views)

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
You could definitely benefit from a tune, theres a couple instances where it looks like it's pulling timing and your at almost stock boost level I would say your safe for a little while but you need to get a tune for that intake pretty soon

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
For some reason I can't get as much boost as I used to. A month or so ago I was getting around 17psi. Ive done a boost leak test and it sounds like there is air coming from the turbo...but my car is so inconsistent its not funny.

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
post #4 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
did you install any mods right before it started acting up

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
No, the last thing I did was put the header on about a month ago and it was fine...I did the boost test when I put my TMIC on "4 months ago" but it was still getting good boost. It just started the 15psi today...I noticed it wasn't as smooth so I did a few logs...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The DAM is 12. It's supposed to be 16. Either your knocking severly or you just reset the ECU......

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

good call dumdum I completely missed that in both logs

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
This is a log with cobb's stage 2 hwg map...it feels smoother but apparently its worse? what could be throwing it off? Is DAM have to do with timing?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf datalog16.pdf (153.6 KB, 121 views)

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You have a serious issue with your car. Now the DAM is 9. DAM has to do with rough timing correction due to knock. The stock ECU programming starts the initial multiplier at 8. Cobb starts it at 12. If there is no issue a couple WOT pulls will bring it right up to 16.

CobbTuning.com - Dynamic Advance & Dynamic Advance Multiplier Explained

post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Correct me if I'm wrong dumdum but wouldn't a failing knock sensor also present similar symptoms? Assuming the car is mechanically sound?

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong dumdum but wouldn't a failing knock sensor also present similar symptoms? Assuming the car is mechanically sound?
I have been getting worse gas mileage than I used too...but even that is inconsistent...some days I get 22 on the hwy and some days its worse...Just like sometimes when I accelerate it feels like shit...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
It would but also an incorrectly torqued or wrongly positioned sensor could do the same (new engine). Then again a loose exhaust component or intercooler could cause a "false knock" issue or it could just be plain old knock.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So I don't mean to de-rail this thread but I did some logs the other day as well. Can you guys tell me other parameters I should be monitoring when I pull a log? I'm trying to determine if I need a protune instead of a Stage 2 as well. I run the basic Stage 2 set-up (DP, Catback, SPT intake). The only thing extra is an STI intercooler that Cobb and P&L said was OK to run with the Stage 2 OTS map.

Can anyone take a quick look at my log and comment on what else I should add to the monitor list. Cobb's new firmware allows for some added monitoring now.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=COPD3c8I

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback