How to backfire more? cheap mods? - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By titter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Boyesy is an unknown
How to backfire more? cheap mods?

Gday, first post on this forum so greetings from Australia. Currently have a 2003 WRX hatchback with an aftermarket Garett turbo running 17psi as well as a street tune with a turbo back catless exhaust, roughly 260 horsepower. Every now and then I get the occasional backfire but tbh its kinda rare. Im wondering If there something I can do to backfire more often and some cheap mods to increase performance, currently a student and dont have much money. ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS IS APPRECIATED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyesy View Post
, currently a student and dont have much money
Don't mean to be a downer but this part of your post means you should just leave your car alone until you have money. Anything that would allow your car to backfire more will put your car in a position to see damage.

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
BTW, "backfire" isn't what you're talking about (the slang is...kinda), you're referring to an afterfire/afterpop which is when the A/F ratios are more rich than necessary and don't go through the full combustion cycle in the cylinder. Instead it occurs in the exhaust manifold which is horrible on your heads and turbo as all that pressure isn't being contained within 1/4" thick cast steel but 2mm steel. Doing this often has been proven to burn or break exhaust valves, eat turbos (the blades, bearing, and housings) and shorten the life of your engine, but hey if you want it then ask your tuner for a map where the fuel/ignition timing tables are set to allow this.

It's your ride, do with it what you like. Just be responsible and remember you've been warned about the costly damages this is known to cause.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyesy View Post
Gday, first post on this forum so greetings from Australia. Currently have a 2003 WRX hatchback with an aftermarket Garett turbo running 17psi as well as a street tune with a turbo back catless exhaust, roughly 260 horsepower. Every now and then I get the occasional backfire but tbh its kinda rare. Im wondering If there something I can do to backfire more often and some cheap mods to increase performance, currently a student and dont have much money. ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS IS APPRECIATED!
What's the tuning interface that was used to map your car? You actually already have a perfect recipe for afterfire.

When you say Road tune, are you saying Tactrix cable? If so I can help!

And no, afterfire does not do damage to your turbo or headers. It would to a CAT but you don't have one so you're set for fireballs!

Here's my ride (no you do not have to do anti-lag to get fireballs).

post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
ive seen melted pistons after fireball competitions...
RoboTuner likes this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
He's not asking about that though, the melted pistons you talk about come from anti-lag and being on that for extended periods of time. Forcing all of the combustion to happen in the exhaust vs tuning to have afterfire during shifts is not the same thing.

I also don't do that regularly, only the occasional launches (usually on a loose surface). Those vids are only a demonstration of what it sounds like and how the Anti-Lag, 2 Step and the EWG work hand in hand together.

BTW, I suspect that the melted pistons have an element of bad tuning too.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
the melted pistons you talk about come from anti-lag and being on that for extended periods of time.
i know what anti-lag is and that is not what i was talking about. im talking about a bunch of yobbo's sitting in a parking lot revving their engines and shooting flames out of the back. fireball competitions. they happen all the time in australia at Jamboree and other crazy aussie events.

you should see the burnout races. set the fastest E/T while doing a skid the entire length of the 1/4 mile.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fino is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
What's the tuning interface that was used to map your car? You actually already have a perfect recipe for afterfire.

When you say Road tune, are you saying Tactrix cable? If so I can help!

And no, afterfire does not do damage to your turbo or headers. It would to a CAT but you don't have one so you're set for fireballs!

I'm curious how you got your car to afterfire like that. I have a fully catless 03 WRX that I've been tuning with a tactrix cable. What tables did you mess with to get it to afterfire during shifts or while using a fuel cut rev limiter (2 step)? I don't have an EWG, just a catless STi uppipe and catless downpipe, is it still possible with this setup?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I hate to give people bad ideas but alot of the flames you see in film from tuned cars are introduced by adding additinal flamable gasses to the exhaust flow and igniting them with spark plugs. Copper and Lithium based combustable compounds are how you get the green and purple flames from the cars in the fast and furious movies.

Also I know this is probablly in one ear and out another but please install a CAT for non track events. There is no reason you cant make great power and also run a single honeycomb CAT on your daily driven racecar. I know I sound like a hippy but if everyone just did what they wanted and ran with no CAT then cities near highways would smell like shit and it sucks for folks who have to live near where they work. For race cars and race track let em breath but polease for the rest of us use a CAT.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fino View Post
I'm curious how you got your car to afterfire like that. I have a fully catless 03 WRX that I've been tuning with a tactrix cable. What tables did you mess with to get it to afterfire during shifts or while using a fuel cut rev limiter (2 step)? I don't have an EWG, just a catless STi uppipe and catless downpipe, is it still possible with this setup?
I tuned a 50/50 hybrid BOV so that the spring is very stiff on it. This way it opens only under significant boost (say 7psi +) and will only vent to atmo when blowing off a lot of gas (such as letting off the gas at WOT to shift). This way only under that condition it will throw fireballs and aftefire during shifts.

I also set up a tuning hack to make the exhaust "Gurgle" or have the "Popcorn Popping" like some Mercedes AMG models. This is done by adjusting the timing in the lowest load column (this column is ONLY reached during vacuum, so decel) to anywhere from 5-7. You can retard the timing further to have a full blown explosions out of the exhaust during decel but it's really obnoxious (albeit somewhat funny for a few minutes). It will have the following effect for no other reason than auditory aesthetics but with no negative sideffects:

The really big fireballs are actually from Anti-Lag, it's a very clever hack I've been running for some time safely. The idea behind it is you add a momentary switch wired to a relay that disconnects the IAT lead on the MAF harness to the ECU. This will make Intake Temp read -40 degrees F (which would never happen otherwise) which becomes a tuning trigger to retard timing. Now you can use that to adjust the following things:

Timing Compensation A (IAT) Activation table:
set cells above 4k RPM to +100 in load ranges that anti-lag can hit.
This will be up high to say around 1.2, test it for yourself after it all works.
Note that this will not have a negative effect since the next step only allows the timing to drop to retarded when the switch is toggled.

Timing Compensation A (IAT) table:
Adjust the -40 degree cell to a negative value. Keep playing with it until you reach around -15 to -17 degrees timing, but test it for optimum Anti-Lag boost.
At this point, hitting the switch will retard your timing, and going above 4k RPM will enable Anti-Lag.

This is both a launch control and rolling anti-lag. It works hand in hand with a 2Step Rev Limiter too.