high a/f correction and learning at idle - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
PhatBotti Tuning - Tuning FAQ & Misc Info - NASIOC his email is r-j-w@rocketmail.com PhatBotti Tuning - Tuning FAQ & Misc Info - NASIOC you can also find him on facebook...ron watson

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Oh, and I would ask him about driving it. Maybe send him a log. He usually responds to email lightning fast. The dude is a machine! I told him to be expecting you. Good luck!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #18 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxdan is more helpful than not
Awsome, i apreciate it.....ill get in touch with him

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #19 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
The biggest issue I can see is you don't know for sure what size injectors you have, plus the % in flow rates could be huge and that will cause issues as well. As far as them being stock the dead time should be pretty close to the same as a stock Subaru injector.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #20 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kind of a nubie, what is dead time? N the wierd thing is that it idles n runs fine.....just has alot of af correction and learning in idle....and doesnt hit full boost......othr than that seens to run fine

post #21 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Guess i cld get the injectors flow tested, but where i live that wld cost about the same as just buying some 1000+ cc injectors...

post #22 of 48 Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdan View Post
Guess i cld get the injectors flow tested, but where i live that wld cost about the same as just buying some 1000+ cc injectors...

WitchHunter Performance - Subaru Fuel Injector Modifications

Dead time refers to injector latency values. Usually in milliseconds and is the amount of time it takes for the injector to open fully...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #23 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
So the big question is, am i safe to drive it til i find a tuner. Or should i just park it til then?
Running rich can be looked at as a safety measure but at idle 12.5 would be a good number imho. Maps that are built by a tuner for download are just a guesstimation and are never perfect as there are too many variables involved.

Get the car on a dyno ASAP!

One hour of dyno tuning with a tuner that knows his shit will make a world of difference. Also remember that the Boxer engine is no different than any other engine accept for its layout/configuration. Oh one last thing "does your current setup exceed the flow capacity of your stock injectors?" I had a T66 turbo on my MR2T and was pushing almost 400RWHP on the stock injectors/ecu.

At my friends shop here in Houston:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfbtcseRZs
post #24 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmr2 View Post
Running rich can be looked at as a safety measure but at idle 12.5 would be a good number imho. Maps that are built by a tuner for download are just a guesstimation and are never perfect as there are too many variables involved.

One hour of dyno tuning with a tuner that knows his shit will make a world of difference. Also remember that the Boxer engine is no different than any other engine accept for its layout/configuration.
the only problem is i dont know of any opensource tuners anywhere near me. closest tuner is like 3 hrs away and they only do cobb tuning......thats why i decided to do the etuner thing, figured it would be better than the ots maps i ran before.
post #25 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
the only problem is i dont know of any opensource tuners anywhere near me. closest tuner is like 3 hrs away and they only do cobb tuning......thats why i decided to do the etuner thing, figured it would be better than the ots maps i ran before.
You have done nothing wrong brother and with patience and planning you will get your issues resolved. I am not a fan of 'etuners or access ports' and believe that if you really want full ability to tune a engine you should go with a full EMS as this way will allow you to build multiple maps.
post #26 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Oh one last thing "does your current setup exceed the flow capacity of your stock injectors?" I had a T66 turbo on my MR2T and was pushing almost 400RWHP on the stock injectors/ecu.

At my friends shop here in Houston:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfbtcseRZs
i dont have the stock injectors anymore, i sold them when i upgraded to the pinks (now modded)......from everything i have read i needed larger injectors for e85, so i modded them....now it seems like its just a mess.
post #27 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
You have done nothing wrong brother and with patience and planning you will get your issues resolved. I am not a fan of 'etuners or access ports' and believe that if you really want full ability to tune a engine you should go with a full EMS as this way will allow you to build multiple maps.
i dont really have the funds rite now to do anything that extreme.....wish i did....for now i just wanted to get a good opensource tune for e85 and a 91/92 oct map.
post #28 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Then you clearly don't know enough about a accessports to formulate an opinion about it. Etuners with enough logs and a competent user can do road tune essentially. A road tune isn't a bad option if you have a good tuner doing the work. I'd avoid Craigslist tuners. A ETuner that runs a tune shop with a good reputation isn't a bad thing if you can't make it to a tune shop near by.
boo-key and BLAZE2099 like this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #29 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

I do know enough about tuning to express my opinion though.
post #30 of 48 Old 10-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Im with kirt on this. A dyno tune or even a road tune in person will always be better when done by a good tuner but, to some like myself and the op this just is not a option. A etune done by a good reputable tuner can be just as good or even better than some mediocre or better tuners. Especially if you have a really good one in your corner. I wouldn't recommend Ron if i didn't think he was the best in the business at what he does. I would put my tune up against any other (safety and reliability wise). Sure you can probably squeeze better numbers out of a dyno tune if it is a option. As far as accessports go they are a great tuning tool capable of multiple custom maps and personal tuning with their software if your comfortable with doing your own tuning. Opensource is good as well and much cheaper but lacks some pretty nice features that the ap has. On the other end of the spectrum if you don't do your research you can get into real trouble with a etune from someone who dosent know what they are doing. My first tune was from another well known company. It had lots of knock in it and they only did one revision after i complained to them enough. Needless to say i dropped them and did not use their map. No matter what kind of tune a person gets it all boils down to how good and knowledgable the tuner is.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!